Ace of Flowers

pride month oneshot contest, me vs. spoopynxrse! 

plot: coming out fic with ace/aro flower + supportive friend!!

TW: homophobia? anxiety

————————————

Aren't you tired of this false love?

I'm reaching into my heart, looking for a piece of yours

but it's empty, a void

My heart has a lock and you keep asking for the key

"Give it to me"

"I don't know where it is"

The lies and saying "I love you"

You're asking for a piece of me

That I don't have

"I'd rather we stayed friends"

As soon as I say it, you turn and leave

Staring at the lyrics on the page, tapping their pencil against their leg. Writer's block was always a killer when they had a deadline. Why couldn't the right words just come to them, the way they seemed to just be there for everyone else?

Sighing to themselves, Flower threw down their pencil and flopped over onto their side, an overdramatic groan coming from their mouth as they shoved their head into the couch cushions. They'd been trying to write this song for hours now. Their manager had threatened to keep them at work until they finished if they didn't stop "wasting time", as she called it. To make matters worse, they were supposed to meet Fukase in half an hour at his apartment to continue binge-watching The Office. Why did they have to write a love song of all things? Why was this the type of music people wanted to hear? Of course, being a professional singer, they didn't really have room to be complaining. Writing music should be one of their talents. There was just one thing.

Flower didn't feel love.

They had never been attracted to someone that way. Romantically or sexually. At first, when they were still in high school like a normal person, they thought it was just taking them longer than their friends to find a "special someone." But no- not a single person, or even the idea of a relationship captured their interest. A few weeks before they'd started working at Vocaloid, a friend of theirs had told them what might be going on. This was the same friend who helped them figure out they were nonbinary.

Asexual. Aromantic. At first they'd just seemed like more random labels, terms that made no sense but were considered real things. After a while, and quite a bit of research, however, they felt as fitting as Flower's own name. And nobody knew about it- not Fukase, not their parents, especially not the media. If any word of this got out to the public, their career would be over- they were sure of it. The media and all their celebrity gossip about relationships, who was dating who, who was pregnant, it scared them half to death. The idea that they could lose so much of their fanbase just because of their sexuality. It made them feel as if there was something wrong with them- after all, what kind of person doesn't feel love? It's one of the things the world treasures most. Romance novels, movies, love songs, breakup songs, and strange relationships sneaking their way into every other book- it seemed like it was a requirement for anything that could be entertaining. So whenever someone were to ask them about their relationship status, they just said, "I haven't found anyone who suits me yet." 

Suddenly hearing their phone ring pulled them quickly out of their thoughts, scrambling to grab the device before it went to voicemail. Reading the caller ID as they answered- Fukase. "Hey, Fuckass," they said as they put the phone up to their ear.