Meteor Shower (Flower/Miku)

happy birtday to uhhh @-spoopynxrse  cuz you're cool and we're friends

TW: slight body horror, mention of holes

How could one person be so perfect?

This thought was one that Miku found in her head too often. Even when they weren't around, she'd think of them, picturing them in her mind- even doing ordinary things, she could watch them for hours.

"Them" of course referring to Flower, her girlfriend of almost a year now. She loved every part of them, both physically and personality-wise. Their messy white hair, their intense violet eyes, all the different piercings they had, the way their pale skin looked on a sunny day. Their creative outfits that never could hide the bright blue wings on their back, the ones that seemed to be made of some strange, metallic substance. She could lose herself watching them, wandering around town until neither of them knew what they were doing, her only thought being to keep them at her side. She loved the feeling of their hand in hers, their hair slipping through her fingers, their strong embrace holding her tight. She was sure she'd never get tired of them, that they'd be happy forever, that nothing was ever going to go wrong.

However, as any thoughts like that went, she was wrong. There had been so many signs lately. The sun didn't rise, the moon looked dull, and the stars were all in the wrong positions. 

It happened at night.

They were just walking home. Late, past midnight, only a few streetlights still on. Their footsteps matching against the concrete sidewalk, their hands clasped together, both taking turns yawning. 

"I don't  know why we bothered going to see the stars.." Miku mumbled, rubbing her eyes with her free hand. "They don't come out anymore. There's always clouds or something in the way."

"Hm.." Flower was quieter, thinking for a moment. Formulating a response in their head. "...I don't mind it that much. As long as I'm with you, everything's fine."

Ironically, that was the very moment everything stopped being fine. The streetlights went out first, then the ground heaved, sending both of them falling to their knees. Panicking, Miku tried to feel around, trying to get back to Flower's hand- and that's when she looked up at the sky.

It looked like rain, but rain wasn't that bright. It was the stars. Thousands of them, all getting bigger every second, the sound getting louder and louder as they neared the ground. The few people who were still awake were finding their way out of the buildings, panicked, pointing up at the sky.

"Meteor shower-"

"Quick, take cover!"

Miku froze. She didn't have time to think. Her eyes were locked on the stars, coming closer and closer every second, until something took hold of her and lifted her off the ground so fast it made her stomach drop and her eyes squeeze shut. "Flower- Flower, where are you?!" she'd cry out, her voice sounding shrill.

"Right here," came the voice in her ear. The voice that, while trying to be calm, sounded panicked- Flower's voice. Opening her eyes, Miku could see they'd done their best to wrap their body around hers, their bright blue wings covering the parts of her they couldn't reach. The stars were getting closer, glittering so brightly they almost hurt to look at. She tucked her head into the rest of her and closed her eyes again, trying not to let her fear get to her. 

"I've got you...There's nothing we can do, so just let the stars fall..." Their grip on her tightened and she could hear a sound like a million pieces of glass shattering around her. She could hear Flower's heavy breathing next to her as they protected her, and then the noise stopped. 

Everything was as quiet as it had been before. The street was empty again, the lights back on, and littering the ground were thousands of tiny blue stars. Broken into pieces from their fall, every step would make a crunching sound as the two of them tried to go on their way. Flower was stumbling, bits of their wings crumbling off as they walked, with Miku's nervous gaze fixed on them as she tried to catch the pieces.

Finally reaching her apartment, she'd drag Flower over to the couch as soon as they got inside, doing her best to hold them still while she made sure nothing else was wrong. Despite her efforts, every piece of their wings had disintegrated in her hands, and they'd been left with nothing- but that wasn't what worried her. What worried her were the little holes all over the back of their head, with no trace of hair or flesh ever being there- even the bone was gone, the holes going right down into their skull. "What..." she'd mumble, looking them over again to be sure she wasn't imagining it. How were they not hurting like hell? "I..I don't know how to fix this.."

Flower's reply was slow, tired. "You just have to...sew it back together.." Reaching a hand into their mouth, down their throat, they pulled out a small collection of sapphire-colored stones. 

By now, Miku was sure it was a dream. Yet still she got up to find a needle and thread, returning to the couch and taking the sapphires from Flower. "Where did you get these..?"

"They were just...in me one day," came the reply, as tired as ever. Threading her needle, Miku fit one of the stones into a hole and started to put it back together- it didn't seem right how easy it was. "I wanted them to be sapphires, because blue's your favorite color...but I'm too tired to remember what they are."

"Don't worry.." Miku said, keeping her voice as quiet as theirs as she continued to work. "I'll sew up your skull, just take your time...I know we'll be just fine." She listened to their breathing slow, watched their eyes close, then returned to stitching the stones in. Questioning the whole chain of events...why did the stars fall?

Just before she'd finish, Flower's eyes fluttered open again, sleepily looking up at her. "Mii...don't go outside, it's dangerous tonight...without me by your side. Just...stay right here." Speaking as if they knew what was going to happen, as if they'd been expecting this whole thing...

"I won't go anywhere." She set down the needle and reached for their hands, holding onto them as they continued to rest their head against her. "I won't go anywhere, Flower."