Cherry Cake (MeiLuka)

[Meiko x Luka] [Story for Meiko's 15th anniversary, written 17 days late]

Luka had all her ingredients, finally. She'd taken a half hour to make sure she got only the best for the woman she loved. Now, all she had to do was bake the perfect cake. Red velvet wasn't too hard to make, it was just chocolate cake with red food coloring. Then there was the frosting- she had to make sure she didn't leave out the vanilla this time. Making homemade frosting would be better than buying it from the store, wouldn't it?

And then, once she made the cake and frosted it, all she would have to do would be decorate it. She had bought a container of maraschino cherries, one of cinnamon hearts, and a brand-new package of red candles.

Meiko wasn't home yet when Luka arrived. The energetic brunette was being kept at the studio by Rin, Len, Miku and Kaito in order to give Luka time to decorate and prepare everything. It had all been the pinkette's idea, and she refused to have anything be less than perfect for her beloved's birthday.

Miku and Kaito had already been there and made her job easier. The dishes that had been sitting in the sink that morning were now washed, dried, and put away, and the countertop cleared off and wiped clean for Luka to make the cake. A note had been set on the table, saying that Kaito and Miku had already made a special dinner and that it was sitting in the fridge. Luka smiled as she read it, then set her groceries on the table. She preheated the oven to 350 degrees and put her recipe up on the fridge, as it was already printed out. The cake would take a while to make, about an hour or so to put together and a bit more time to bake. 

------------

After about an hour, the cake was finished. It looked beautiful and fluffy, like the perfect image of a red velvet cake, just waiting to be frosted. All she had to do was make the frosting.

By the time the frosting was done, the cake seemed just cool enough to be decorated. Grinning happily, Luka set the first layer on a plate and began to spread the fluffy white frosting on top of it, doing her best to make it look even so she could put the second layer on. It was easier than she thought it would be for sure, causing the smile to never leave her face. She stuck the second layer on top and frosted the entire cake, making it look perfect in her mind. Now all that was left were the decorations and the candles, and then she could hide the cake in the fridge.

Deciding to place the candles first, she set 24 of them in the center, making sure she didn't stick them too deep into the soft, spongy cake. Next were the cherries, to be placed in a circle on the outer edge of the top layer, their vibrant red shining on the white frosting. Last to be put on were the cinnamon hearts, sprinkled in the leftover white space until the cake looked absolutely perfect to Luka. A soft blush reddened her cheeks and she set the plate inside the glass cake-holder that she kept in the pantry, then slipped the dessert into the fridge next to Kaito and Miku's special dinner. Pulling out her phone, she texted the others that everything was ready, and then set the special present she'd made for Meiko on the kitchen table. Perfect, everything was perfect. And not a moment too soon, because that was when the door opened.

Meiko was the first to enter, tackling Luka in a hug like she always did. The others followed close behind, taking off their jackets and hanging them up. All of them took a seat at the dinner table, and Kaito pushed the wrapped box towards Meiko. "Happy birthday, Mei," he said with a soft grin, poking the brunette's cheek. "C'mon, open it. Luka designed the whole thing and the rest of us helped," he explained, causing the blush on Luka's soft cheeks to become darker.

"Okay, okay!" Meiko grinned a bit and carefully took off the wrapping paper, hoping she could use it again. She didn't expect to see what was under it, not at all.

It was a photo album, with the Vocaloid logo on the cover and intricate patterns drawn all over. Inside were dozens of decorated pages, pictures from every year that Meiko had been a Vocaloid and empty pages near the back for more photos to be added. A beautiful scrapbook full of little memories, arranged and decorated by Luka and Miku. Kaito had picked out the stickers, and Gakupo had stopped by to draw the patterns on the front. All to make sure that Meiko remembered everything, since she was the oldest Vocaloid still in the business.

A smile found its way onto Meiko's lips, her eyes sparkling with happiness. "Thank you guys...This is absolutely adorable." She set the scrapbook in the other room and then returned as Miku got the special dinner from the fridge.

Dinner was an exciting affair, everyone talking happily about their day. Luka didn't say much, she preferred to sit still and listen to the others sometimes. She kept thinking of the cake that she'd decorated as best she could, hoping Meiko would like it. 

Soon enough, everyone had cleared their plates and set them in the sink, and it was time for cake. "Close your eyes, Meiko," Rin said with a huge grin. "Luka took the whole afternoon off so she could spoil you with this!" Len chimed in, sticking his tongue out at the nervous pinkette.

Lighting the candles carefully, Luka set the cake on the table, looking towards Meiko for any sign of disapproval. All she found was happiness, much to her relief. "Happy birthday, love," she said, cutting a slice of cake and setting it in front of her lover. "Birthday girl gets the first bite!!" A grin crossed her face as she picked up some of the cake with her fork, slipping it into Meiko's mouth.

"Mm. It's delicious, Luka...Everything's perfect. I love you." She grinned back, her cheeks becoming cherry-red as she stood up, going over to the adorable pinkette and planting a gentle kiss on her lips, taking her hands. "You're so sweet. You spoil me too much, I swear." With a small giggle, she kissed Luka again, this time wrapping her arms around the adorable woman's torso. "I love you, Luka."

Luka felt her heart swell, kissing Meiko back as she was hugged. "I love you too. You're precious, Mei."