00. Goodbye Atlanta¹

Genesis.

[Season 1—the outbreak day

[Season 1—the outbreak day.]

                      MELISSA GRIMES HAD TO say the last few weeks were horribly sad

MELISSA GRIMES HAD TO say the last few weeks were horribly sad. There wasn't a moment in which she wasn't feeling anxious. Her nails had been bitten enough so she had barely any and the chopped nail polish was non-existent by now. She thought this would be nothing but a week of her older brother being in a coma, that he would wake up in no time and it would be just a joke between them.

It turned out that two months happened by since he was shot and he was nowhere near waking up. That's what the doctors said but she couldn't give herself the privilege of being sad or crying everywhere, that was reserved for his wife and son. She had to be strong for them and she was of much help since.

Melissa was in the middle of the semester when it happened, she had to put in pause her studies to get back to the town she hated and stay by their side for as long as they needed. She had been put in the role of aunt-mother by the time being given that Lori chose to spend the nights at the hospital by her husband's side.

Melissa didn't blame her, she wanted to be the one by his side but she couldn't argue with the sad wife so instead, she stayed every night with Carl and sometimes Shane, whom would pass the night there as well, at least the nights he didn't have to patrol the streets.

Shane Walsh was of much help too, he always made sure nothing was missing and that they were safe and doing alright, driving Melissa and Carl to the hospital when needed and being the shoulder the younger Grimes used to cry on. He was always such a good friend to her and Rick, they are practically brothers and that's a bond Melissa knew and admired.

But today, today it was different because they both chose to make Lori leave the hospital and be around her son for a change, Carl was missing his mom and no doubt she was missing him. Melissa had been the one to stay by her brother's side since last night and Shane would call every few hours to check in and then continue on his job. She was glad for that because the overwhelming silence of the room was horribly sad.