Chapter 24 - Pity Party

(New challenge, take a shot everytime the word "right" appears in this chapter)

2 Week Time Skip, June 20th

Kokichi's POV

"Shumaiii!!" I whisper-yelled Shuichi's name to get his attention as I walked into the library, making sure to stay somewhat quiet since it was a library after all. Usually I wouldn't care about that, but I didn't wanna disrupt Shuichi's reading by being too loud.

He was in the far corner of the large room filled with all sorts of books. He was reading a book about true crime, which is his favorite topic. He raised his head from his book and smiled when he realized it was just me.

"Oh, hey Koki!" Shuichi greeted in a warm tone, before slipping a bookmark in the page he was reading and then closing the book. "What's up?" he asked.

"Sooo, did you forget what tomorrow is?" I asked, putting my hands behind my back and holding them together. Shuichi put his finger to his chin for a second and looked to the left, as if he were thinking of something.

I faked a surprised gasp. "O-oh my god! Did you forget already?!" I asked with an exaggerated expression of distress. Shuichi tilted his head and put his hands close to his chest with a face full of confusion. "W-what do you mean?" He asked, sounding worried.

It made me stop and think for a split second, he has been nicer to me lately, and I did trust him more than anyone, but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to realize he did care about me. It was baffling to me, and I had no clue why.

Deciding to just forget about it for now, I continued to tease him. "So you did forget! This is why I can't trust you!" I yelled, earning a shush from the librarian, in which I yelled louder. "You forgot my birthday was tomorrow!!"

I began to fake cry, though some of the tears were most likely real since I always bottle up my emotions and never cry for real unless I'm alone.

Shuichi's worried expression changed to a warm, relieved smile. "Don't worry Koki, I already bought you presents" he stated, bringing his hand up to my face and wiped one of my tears, the action making me blush.

"Really? Wow! You're a great boyfriend Shumai! Thank you!" I said, calling him my boyfriend to make him flustered, which worked. He immediately turned red and covered his mouth with flustered eyes.

"Aww is someone flustered? Neeheehee! Don't worry! I'm just messing around with ya!" I laughed, grabbing his wrist and pulling it away from his face.

"Aaaanyways, the birthday party is tomorrow at 2pm! And since it's a Saturday there's no school, which means there's no excuse to being late! So don't be!" I raised my voice, but not loud enough to irritate the librarian.

Shuichi giggled and responded with a simple alright. I hesitated for a second before adding, "I also invited everyone else in our class but I doubt they'd come.. Oh well! The only person I need at my birthday is you!"

Shuichi looked at me with a worried stare, I quickly spoke. "Anyways, I have to go plan my birthday party now, cya Shumai! Don't be late tomorrow!" before running off to my dorm, leaving school early.

Shuichi's POV

I stared at Kokichi, feeling bad for him. He knows how bad the hate towards him is... did he overhear the others speaking about him or something?

The others did speak about him a lot, and about how he acted in the killing game. It was sad, honestly, having to listen to them insult and make fun of him. I couldn't even bare to listen to them at times, and I would always just drown out their talking or leave.