Chapter 4

"Baby step outside your mind / You've been really good / You've been really good / You've been thinking 'bout being bad ever since I put you on."
~ Life Of The Party by The Weeknd

......

Summer White

......

After dropping Alice off at the airport, I drove to get some takeout and parked in the lot where I ate and researched everything I could about Kai Black using someone's phone I stole. The guy was old so he didn't even notice that I took it and I'm pretty sure even if he did, he doesn't know what find my iPhone is.

I already knew some things about Kai from what dad had told me and what I had read in the media previously, but that's not what I was looking for now. Instead, I was looking for information about his life before the Black Aces. The only thing I could find is some cases his family, The Black Knights were linked to back in Los Angeles though most of them only talked about Nicholas or their deceased father, William Black.

What I did find though is that Kai first moved to Chicago when he was seventeen because that's when the news outlets started reporting about The Black Aces. He's also two years older than me making him twenty-five.

The reason why The Black Aces gained so much attention and power so quickly is the media claims that they're involved in human trafficking which most new gangs tend not to get involved with. Human trafficking is more of a mafia thing or for people who have no moral compass, but I guess Kai needed power and he needed it fast so this was the best possible way to gain it. The reason why Kai remains untouched is that he launders his money through the multiple car dealerships he owns throughout America. I'm assuming the dealerships are a front because that's what most strong gangs do. They find a legitimate business to launder their black money through. My family did it through hotels and Nick does it through casinos. It's all rumours and speculation though so I guess I'll find out once I'm a part of the gang too.

On that note, I'm pretty sure Kai isn't going to make me a part of his gang in the way I want. I'm a woman and to him, like any other man, the only skill I have is the art of seduction. Though I do possess that skill and I will be putting it to use, I would prefer that Kai utilize my combative and tactical skills instead. He might try to explore those skills of mine on his own, but the chances are slim. I caught just enough of his attention to make him curious, but I think that's fading as time passes. I need to throw him off guard and keep him interested. The best way to do that is by showing him my skills and testing his boundaries.

It was around midnight when I started driving back home and I make it in about half an hour. When I open the door, before I flick on the lights, I notice a little red light in the far corner of the living room. I don't hesitate to flick the lights on. Then I turn around to close the door behind me, locking it so that unwanted guests don't appear. I noticed the black car following me the whole way home and I'm pretty sure it was one of Kai's men and now he even has cameras set up in my apartment, great. No fucking privacy at all.

I came home to get my weapons, but I can't now. Instead, I sit on the couch and turn on the TV putting on a random show from Netflix. How am I going to get out now? I need weapons and a trusted person to talk to. There is only one person who can give me both and that is Killian Abara.

Casually, I get up and head to the bathroom. I lock the door and head out using the window. The bathroom is located in the back of the building so no one notices as I climb down the metal stairs. I spot the black car parked across the street and discreetly walk in the opposite direction. I don't hear it turn on so I know I've made it out undetected.