Chapter 5

"Expect anything from anyone; the devil was once an angel."
~ Unknown

......

Summer White

......

I can't trust a man. Not after what so many have done to me. There's one thing on their lips, another in their mind. While their lips wreak of lies and drip with honey to seduce their victim, their actions reflect their mind, a truthful yet most often grotesque portrayal of their reality.

I don't trust Kai. Not because his words drip with honey, they don't. It's because he's a man whose words and actions align or what he does, he does not announce. That's dangerous. He doesn't want attention. I can't predict his intentions or his next move merely because he doesn't make them obvious.

That's why I'm stuck. Confused about what to do. I have no choice but to comply with his every demand. He's playing his cards right making it clear that he has the upper hand. Maybe I was foolish in thinking that I could keep Alice safe by sending her away, but how could I make that kind of mistake?

Emotions.

My family lost me years ago because Nick knew I was their weakness. They loved me and using me was the key to his reign. He played every single card right and that is why he is one of the most feared men in America today. He has nothing to lose. No reason to fear anything. 

Kai has no fear. Nothing to lose especially between the two of us. He could kill me at any given second, but he hasn't yet and that's the only mercy I'll receive from him. Other than that, he's playing his brother's moves holding against me the one thing I value most: my family.

I happily accept that fate. I'll comply. Be that soulless vessel he and his brother tend to turn every single person they encounter into. I'll dance on his command, kill at his leisure and strip at his lustful look if that means that my family remains unharmed because as long as they're alive, so is whatever remains of my innocence. While they're alive, I can't turn my emotions off. I can't stop caring. I'm not heartless like they are. But the second they hurt my family, I have nothing to lose and then it'll be fair game.

Hopefully, it never comes to that so with that in mind, I get ready changing into the black dress Kai sent over for tonight's event.

The dress itself is cotton with thin straps, a low V neck and an even lower back that stops just above the small of my back. While it's tight from the waist up, kissing my every curve, it flows out at the bottom with a small train at the back and a high slit on the left side. The dress is quite sexy and Kai has exquisite taste, but the only complaint I have is how it displays the scars I try to keep hidden.

When I turned eighteen, I started getting laser removal for my scars and I did it up until I was twenty-one. While most of the scars faded, some deeper ones were stubborn and are still embedded in my skin. I have a few marks on my back, but I don't hate them as much as I hate the little round scars on my chest and ribs. They remind me of a time I never wanna remember so I don't spend too much time in front of the mirror. The less I look at them the better it'll be for me. I think about covering them up with makeup but go against it. If Kai wants to see me, then he's gonna see me authentically. There's no reason to hide from someone whose opinion won't matter.

I also dyed my hair before I showered so that my roots wouldn't show and straightened it with a middle part. I'm keeping my hair behind my shoulders and letting my defined collarbones be the accessory instead of pairing the dress with a necklace. I keep the whole look simple and elegant with only small studs in my hair and go for a bold red lip to match the red bottoms that Kai sent over. He sent over three different sizes of the dress and the heels just so I didn't have an excuse to not wear them. My blue contacts go well with the look and I'm impressed at how well the makeup covered up the bruises on my face. There was no swelling now so that helps, but the bruises are still dark so I had to pack on the concealer.