Chapter 24 (Just... Why?)

Your POV

Alya nodded.  “You looked so cool.  That thing you did with the fans back there was awesome.”  Ayla replied.  I shrugged.  “I don't know.  I think there's something else I have to figure out about that form.  There has to be something about it besides those fans. 

Otherwise, we might have known we could unify the Wolf and Ladybug miraculous' a lot sooner.  It seemed like that form should only be used as a last resort effort, like when I have to purify the Akuma.”  I tried explaining.

Ayla nodded.  We went our separate ways.  I had to grab a few things before heading up to meet Adrien and his dad.  Why we couldn't talk over the phone for these things evaded me.  But I couldn't complain too much.  It got me out of that apartment after all.  I went upstairs to grab a black/grey jacket/hoodie in case the weather decided to change on me.  That seemed to happen a lot, especially to me.

I checked my phone while locking up.  I had to be there in five minutes.  I could transform to get there faster, but I would risk someone seeing me go to Adrien's house.  That just wasn't safe for anyone involved.  It would make Adrien and his father a target for Hawkmoth. 

Plus, with our plan in full swing, we weren't supposed to let too many people see us when we chose to watch for any Akuma.  I opened my contacts, pulling up Adrien's number and calling him.  I told him I would be a bit late coming over but that I was on my way.

Adrien said he'd tell his father and that they'd wait for me to get there.  He offered to send someone to pick me up but I told him I was fine walking.  But I had to head over now if I wanted to get there quicker.  I left, putting my phone back in my pocket before starting to head over.  It still took a while to get there, even after jogging for some time. 

I paused for a few moments, catching my breath before Natalie let me in.  Adrien and his dad were waiting for me.  “Sorry, I went home to grab something and didn't realize how long it was taking.”  I apologized.

Gabriel nodded stiffly.  “You should be more aware of the time y/n.”  He simply stated.  I nodded slightly.  “I will be sure to remember that next time, sir.”  I replied.  Adrien's dad said he was planning another photoshoot for next week.  But it would have different lines and would have to be over three days in order to go through everything.

Of course, the photos would start after school each day so we didn't miss any of our classes.  God.  What if there was an Akuma attack somewhere else in the city?

How would I get away to help my team?  Even if we were supposed to look like we were coming undone, I couldn't let Ladybug or Chat noir get hurt because I didn't make it in time.  It might bring bad luck later to wish for this...

But if there was an Akuma attack, I hope it ended up being close enough it put the photoshoot in danger so I could get away.  But if that happened, Adrien might get hurt, or even the people who helped us get ready between each photo.

But even if it was farther away, I would have to sneak out somehow to help Ladybug and Chat noir somehow.  If Hawkmoth thought we were getting on each other's nerves during a battle, even just a little bit, he might make a mistake or let his guard down enough we could find him.  But that would take time.  I couldn't jump to the point where I stopped showing up yet.  That would be too soon, too dangerous, and too obvious.

Adrien's dad kept talking about how he wanted both his son and me to be on our best behavior during this photoshoot because someone from the U.S. was coming to take photos for a bunch of magazines over there.  Of course, neither of us was to assume we would be on any covers.

But I'm sure if one of us were on a cover, it would be Adrien.  He had been doing this for a lot longer after all.  It made the most sense.  We were ‘dismissed’ not too long after that.  “Hey y/n?”  Adrien asked before I got back to the door.  I turned to face him again.  “Yeah?  What's up Adri?”  I replied.

Adrien rubbed the back of his head for a moment.  “Do you wanna hang out here for a while?  I don't have classes the rest of the day and Natalie and father are leaving in a little bit.”  He asked.  I sighed after a moment.  “Sorry, I can't Adrien.  I promised my brother and our parents I'd come to see them after seeing you and your father.”  I answered.  Adrien nodded a bit.  “I understand.”  He said.  Technically, I never said I would come back alone…

“If you're gonna be here by yourself… Maybe your father will let you come with me.  I'm sure my parents would like to meet you too and it's better than staying in this big house by yourself as well.”  I suggested.  That seemed to cheer him up a bit again.  “Really?  But wouldn't your parents get mad?”  Adrien asked.  I nodded, smiling now.  “I don't see why they should.  But you'll have to ask your father first.”  I repeated.

Technically speaking, Adrien had met my parents, but not they had not officially been introduced since I ended up getting mad at them and left before really much of anything was said.  Adrien's dad was harsh sometimes, but it did look like he cared for his son.  In some form at least.

Luck must have been on my side for once because Adrien was allowed to leave with me.  That, or his father didn't want him at home either.  But Adrien was glad he could leave at least.  I took my phone out to let b/n know I was on my way back and that Adrien was coming with me.

He said he'd call mom to let her know since he was out at the moment.  It didn't rain, so that was good.  I didn't even have to put the extra jacket/hoodie on.  B/n texted me again saying mom and dad were waiting for us in the apartment.