Chapter 1: The Heroine and The Male Lead

"I don't want to work with either of them."

"Hah, never thought we'd finally agree on something, Haste."

"You keep your mouth shut, Brooke."

"Excuse me!?"

"Enough!"

A woman with short, straight black hair grumbled, crossing her arms as her ruby colored eyes looked away from her rival, Vincent Haste. Vincent, a tall man with a well-built body, dark slick back hair and deep golden eyes, does the same and muttered curses.

Vincent didn't want to work with such a hot-blooded woman, reckless and stubborn. They do not meet eye to eye and Vincent believes they never will.

Vincent definitely did not want to work with Daniel Winters. Vincent had never met Daniel before just like Scarlett, but he heard the rumors. Daniel is just as reckless as Scarlett. He's wild, arrogant and acted like the world revolved around him. He was a narcissistic, playboy of a jerk. He did not want to work with such an uncooperative fool.

Come to think of it, where is that player?

Shouldn't he be here with them with the mission briefing? Tsk, absent or late, he's already making a bad impression.

Vincent wasn't one to believe in rumors easily, but with so many of them going around and co-workers complaining about Daniel, it wasn't so hard to believe anymore. Daniel may be one of their best fighters and it they had to admit that the man was cunning, quick-witted and crafty.

But that still doesn't change the fact that he was uncooperative! Those good points are useless if he isn't going to use them right!

"Why isn't he here?" Scarlett asked.

The man behind the desk, Jackson, shrugged. "I already informed him about the meeting today, maybe he's just running late."

"And you expect us to work with someone like that?" Vincent snarled, "This is a huge case and it shouldn't be taken lightly. Being late for something this big? Is he even serious?"

"I hate to say that I agree."

"Shut up, Brooke."

"You don't get to tell me what to do, Haste!"

"Enough!" Jackson sighed for the umpteenth time. Was he dealing with children here!? Man, why did the chief have to pair these two!? Actually, three! Why did the chief have to create such a risky trio? Was he trying to bomb the whole building? Jackson silently prepares for evacuation.

*RING RING RING*

Jackson's smartphone on his desk rang.

"Wait, the Chief's calling me...Please excuse me for a moment, yes chief?" Jackson answered the phone, turning away on his swivel chair.

"Mhm...What!?" Jackson gasped.

Scarlett and Vincent tilt their heads in confusion. They wonder what the chief could be telling Jackson. The two talk for a bit and finally, the call ended. Jackson cleared his throat and faced Scarlett and Vincent, Jackson's hands clasped together on the desk.

"Change of plans, only the two of you will be working on this case."

"Why?" Vincent asks.

"Daniel submitted a resignation letter."

"WHAT!?" Scarlett and Vincent slammed their hands down on Jackson's desk, causing him to jump. Jackson trembled and asked in confusion. "...I thought the two of you didn't want to work with him..."

"We don't but..."

All of the sudden he resigns!?

Jackson sighs thoughtfully. "There's nothing we can do. According to Chief, Daniel was adamant about his resignation and refused to take no for an answer. Honestly, I bet the whole workplace is relieved, but Daniel's skills are no joke, such a big loss..."

"..."

"Anyways, we can't force him to work if he doesn't want to. Goes against human rights, right?" Jackson then placed a folder on the desk. "These are the details we managed to obtain, please read over them carefully and do what you must crack this case."

"Wait, I haven't agreed to work with her-"

"I didn't agree working with him-"

The two said at the same time, glaring at each other. Jackson takes his cup of coffee and downs it in an instant. "Chief's orders. Complain to him."

"..."

"Come on you two, give each other a chance." Jackson frowns. "Combining your guys' skills and you'll blow this whole case away. It's this big that the chief teamed up the three powerhouses of the-well, two now...Ugh! The point I'm making is that the two of you are strong and working together makes you even stronger as one!"

"..."

It's not getting across them is it? Jackson waves them off and lets them leave his office. The duo stood outside in the hall, Scarlett holding the folder. The two glare at each other once more, evident dislike. They really had no choice.

"You read it first." Scarlett slams the folder on Vincent's chest and walked off.

"And where the hell are you going?"

"Hospital."

"Eh?"

Scarlett walks out the station, wrapping a brown coat around her.

Hospital? What's she doing there?

"Go easy on Detective Scarlett, Haste." A voice says. Another woman appears from behind him. She was wearing a lab coat and pair of glasses in front of her orange eyes. She had short auburn-colored hair. "She's meeting up with one of the victims of her recent case."

"..."

"Poor kid's traumatized." She says, hiding her hands into her coat's pockets. "Scarlett doesn't need to do it, but she never fails to meet with the kid and be there for him. She's really sweet under that cold exterior, you know?"

"And why are you telling me this, Williams?" Vincent asks.

Williams pouts and mutters something about Vincent. Vincent was about to call her out and ask what she muttered about him, but he wasn't in the best of moods right now. He was exhausted and he just wanted to have lunch since he skipped it.

"I'm off." Vincent says, leaving no room for Charlotte Williams to speak.

He'll read whatever is in the folder during lunch.

The man wants food.

~~~~~

Hello everybody!

Welcome to chapter 1!

How is it so far? Is the Heroine and Male lead interesting?

I hope you guys enjoyed it!

Thank you so much for reading chapter 1!

Thank you so much for the support, views, votes and comments! I'll see all of you in the next chapter where most of my AN notes are hehe~ Welcome to the chapter release bundle for the celebration of winning the story voting!!