Chapter 11: Calls

Scarlett's eyes shot open. As she took deep breaths through her nose, she looked around the room she was inside of. The first she picked up on was the cold and rough sensation against the side of her face. The next was the tight rope tied around her wrists and ankles, as well as the layers of duct tape on her mouth.

Calm yourself Scarlett...Calm...This isn't the time to panic. She tells herself.

The next is that she wasn't alone. She counted her company, there were three-no, four more victims with her. It appears she's the only one who has woken up since the other four made no sign of movement.

One female teenager...four female adults...Five of us...

They were all inside a fairly dark room, the only source of illumination being the two hanging light bulbs. All of them on the cold, tiled floor and Scarlett already had a guess as to what kind of purpose this location had. From her angle, she could see several boxes in the corner of the room, as well as long, metal tables. She could also smell the sick stench of blood, as well as a strange odor.

"You've done well." A deep voice said from afar. Scarlett carefully rolled over, to direct her attention to the other side of the room. She faces a stack of boxes instead, but the stack of boxes weren't high enough to hide the three figures just above it.

"Using the woman as a distraction...Quite risky. I'm impressed." The man said. Scarlett could only see the back of the man's head, but she noted down whatever she could. Dark hair, barely reached the nape, slicked back.

He continued, "Here."

The man moved away slightly, and Scarlett could see the faces of the two others quickly. One she recognized, and another completely unknown to her.

Nathaniel Jay Clarke and a delivery worker...

"Thank you sir..." The delivery worker said, receiving something but it was out of Scarlett's sight. Nathaniel remained quiet.

"The new batch is quite a catch, you even managed to snag someone from the police. Nice work, Nathaniel."

"..."

"But she wasn't your target, was she?"

"..."

"You'll get her next time."

"..."

"It was nice talking to you." The man said, amusement clear in his voice. He then pats Nathaniel's shoulder and said, "The two of you guard the batch until our clients arrive. Nathaniel, you may not be one of my men, but you owe me. I just want to remind you of that."

The man's voice turned threatening in less than a second. Whoever this man was, they must've had something to do with Nathaniel's escape, is what Scarlett comes up with. No other words were exchanged and the man leaves the room, going behind the two men.

"..."

Nathaniel bowed his head, an unpleasant expression donning his face. The delivery man clearly looked uncomfortable and looked away, directing his attention on the floor as Nathaniel continued to seethe in anger, clearly irritated. Nathaniel raised his hand, biting his thumb nail. "Eve...Eve..."

Nathaniel looked up suddenly, his eyes widening as if he realized something. "Time...what is the time?"

"It's three in the afternoon..." The delivery man answered.

"School will end soon..." Was Nathaniel's response.

No...Scarlett's heart beats faster.

Nathaniel storms out the room, leaving the confused delivery man who didn't have a chance to ask anything or hold Nathaniel back from leaving. Scarlett already knew Nathaniel's plan the moment he mentioned Eve. The fight between Nathaniel and Daniel in the past was no mystery to Scarlett, as well as the Trial where Nathaniel cursed Daniel a hundred times.