Chapter 14: Just the Beginning

A tall, gruff man yawned. He taps his foot impatiently as he grumbles, "How long do we have to wait for them?"

The shorter man beside him shrugged, "You know it's not that easy. They have to make sure they're not being followed."

"We've been waiting for fucking hours! We don't get paid enough for this shit." The 'construction worker' complained, shaking his head. His partner scoffed, annoyed. Before the taller could begin to share more strings of complaints, the shorter yelled.

"AH!"

"Holy-What the hell man!?"

"T-The van!" His partner pointed at the van, shocking the both of them. Smoke was coming out of the hood of the vehicle. The pair ran towards the van, to find out what was wrong. As they ran, one of them asked, "Didn't we just get this fixed last week!?"

"Did they fuck with the engine or something!?"

The moment their foot stepped out of the warehouse, someone from each side hooked their arms around their neck. They slid their arm under the guards's chins, wrapping them around their neck to apply pressure. No matter how much they struggled, they couldn't escape their locked grip.

And just within seconds, the pair's eyes roll up, losing consciousness. The culprits loosen their grip and move their bodies inside the warehouse.

"You actually did it." The golden-eyed detective says, placing the guard against the wall. Akio, though a bit shaken, does the same and nodded. He hides his trembling hands behind his back.

"Yeah..." The self-defense lessons were worth it.

"You okay?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" Akio replied as calmly as he could. Akio senses an odd atmosphere that is beginning to form. He attempts to lessen whatever Vincent was trying to make. "I used to work as a detective, didn't I?"

"...Did you?" Vincent raises an eyebrow.

Akio stiffens, but before he could answer, Vincent shakes his head. "Yeah I know, questions after this whole ordeal."

"...Yeah. Questions after."

Vincent handcuffs both of the guards to the metal pipes on the wall. Vincent only cuffs them with one handcuff, a different person's wrist on one lock. After making sure they had no way of escaping once they woke up, he pulled out a pistol and nodded at Daniel. Daniel nods back and places his hand on the door knob leading to the basement.

Akio pulls the door open and Vincent steadies his aim. No one in sight.

Vincent gestures with a head tilt and enters the pathway of the basement. Akio follows shortly after checking the guards again. He actually kneels beside them and grabs something from their pocket. The two find themselves in a dimly lit hall, the end of the hall being a set of stairs leading to their final destination of the mission.

Akio whispers, "Down there is another hall with a few more guards...Walk slowly to prevent noise."

The two reached the stairs and exchanged glances before walking down. The two stepped on the basement floor, slowly walking to reach the end of it, where there was a right turn. As they come closer, they hear faint chatter. Just as Akio said, there were more of the sick bastards. Seeing two of them as they peek out of the corner. They were chatting pretty loudly, talking about fruitless topics. The pair brandishing a weapon similar to Vincent's.

Akio's eyes scan all over the area. A ceiling light, pipelines at the back, the door to the storage room, and useless stacks of boxes. Akio leans closer to Vincent and whispers into his ear, "I took one of their transceivers. I'm gonna get them to go up..."