prayer

A soft waterfall trickled down in a glistening silver sheet, gushing into the frigid water at the Spring of Power. The ripples born at the foot of the waterfalls majestically unfolded its waves to slowly caress your sandaled feet.

     I listened to the quiet splash of the falls as it gently kissed the Spring, the crystalline waters lapping at the white fabric of your dress. Your bare shoulders were shaking slightly, the smooth skin of your arms dotted with goosebumps.

     (Dang that was difficult to write for some reason :/) 

     I wasn't sure what I was expecting for our first praying session with me as your knight, but this wasn't it. Connecting with Hylia through meditation and serene prayer was supposed to be a golden ray of light, of happiness, hope. But it looked as though it was hurting you, chipping away at something from you, stealing your resolve bit by bit. I didn't understand. 

     The morning sun crept slowly across the cloudless azure sky, and I fidgeted impatiently in my scratchy Champion's Tunic. I wondered if you made the cloth this uncomfortable on purpose. I could imagine you with those sharp, dagger-like eyes, jabbing a few extra times than strictly necessary into the brilliant blue fabric. 

     Rustling and splattering behind my back made me turn, blinking some alertness back to my dreamily drifting eyes. 

     You pulled yourself out of the water, your movements clipped with tension as though every motion brought you barely suppressed pain. I stepped back a few paces, suddenly unsure of what to do.

     You drew in a deep breath, then looked up at me with your eyes a splash of irate emerald shining with stark contrast on your too-pale face.

     I took that to mean that this one resulted in failure as well. I sighed inwardly, bracing myself. 

     "GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!"

     I didn't need to be told twice. I sidestepped into a nearby clump of trees, the broad leaves hiding me from your fury.

     Surely I didn't have enough time spent in your delightful company to offend you so badly that you couldn't even look at me without unleashing your rage on me?

     I hugged my knees, keeping my head down. I didn't want to face you and your limitless hatred.

     "All right, you can come out of hiding now." Annoyance was clear in your chopped voice. 

     I rolled my eyes to myself, straightening and brushing off the leaves in my hair.

     You muttered something that sounded suspiciously like "coward" under your breath and stalked away, leaving me to pick up the supplies scattered all over the Spring. I swallowed my own anger and tonelessly tidied up the sacred waters.

     You didn't even bother to look at me as I walked up to the pair of horses, grazing on the grass by the entrance of the Spring of Power, and I stuffed the haphazard pile of objects unceremoniously into the threadbare bag dangling off my horse.

     I was rather good at pretending people didn't exist, and you didn't seem to be willing to acknowledge me any time soon, turning up your precious little nose at me. I held my head low as I trailed you through the Akkala, a slow fire of distaste starting to burn in my chest, smoldering angrily, not quite flaring up into utter hatred just yet.

     I supposed you were used to thinking you were the only one who matters. Used to doing what you like without a reprimand, without a drop of guilt. You were used to not caring.

     The fire blazed a touch brighter, feeding on my pent-up anger. 

     So be it. 

     I had once hoped that we were going to at least get along, and maybe, just maybe, we could be friends. I was so foolish. 

     If you were going to treat me like this, the least I could do was return the favor.

A/N: Hehehee...

I don't really like writing these memory scenes. They read in the style of Blood Moon, and less like the one I'm going with right now. 

Am I being overly critical? Sorry if I'm annoying y'all.