dream

It took too long for my liking to figure out where we were in the enormous span of Hyrule. 

     By the looks of the trees, we couldn't be in the Lanayru region, for which I was grateful. If I were to run into one of Mipha's brethren, I didn't know how I would react. 

     We were far away from Akkala as well, as it was evident from the lack of the distinctive splashes of red leaves on lush green. 

     There was no way we could be in the Faron region. No mist clung to your skin, no moisture clogged your lungs and no towering trees like an emerald ocean, as far as the eye could reach.

     We were not anywhere near the Gerudo region, nor the Hebra region. That left the Ridgeland region, the Necluda region, or Hyrule field.

     I squinted against the shadows of moonlight as Sadie stood by. I had a feeling she knew exactly where we were, but I pointedly refrained from stooping to ask her. None of the words coming from her lips were necessarily trustworthy.

     I frowned, stepping back to rake my sharp eyes on the scenery, the leaves painted with a liquid silver, the sky dotted with stars. 

     Satori Mountain was but a silhouette on the horizon, so Ridgeland territory was out. And it was quite obvious that I was quite far away from the Dueling Peaks, along with its stable. 

     No salty breath of sea air blew from the east. We weren't close to the sea at all.

     We are at somewhere on southern Hyrule Field, near Whistling Hill. I turned around, taking in the scope of gently rolling grassy land stretching out beneath my feet. Aren't we?

     She nodded mutely, fiddling restlessly with the edge of her sleeves. 

     It would take at least five days to make my own way across the vast expense of monster-ridden land, never mind grappling with the fate of an unexperienced girl. It would take, at the very least, a week, probably much more. 

     My brows furrowed, pinpointing the position of the Springs in my mind, tracking my own future progress through the grass, the trees, the roads.  

     Courage first. Then Power. That took me too long, too long to plan. Is that fine?

     "Yes..."

     Then we leave. Now.

     There was no conversation, no words passed between us as we set off, Sadie's steps swifter than I had anticipated. I pulled her away from the monsters raising their blades to the sun again and again, and with each fight discarded, I pushed away the voices calling to me, taunting my cowardice. 

     My face drawn, I sped up my pace, the trees lining the winding road but a green blur, passing me by.

     Through all of this, not a word of complaint passed through Sadie's mouth, not one plea to rest. A grudging respect dawned in my chest.

     Night fell like a blanket over the land, muffling its troubles underneath a thin covering of momentary peace, to be thrown off again as the sun pierced through the haze of darkness. 

     We covered a third of the way today. I couldn't help but be impressed. That was faster than I could have expected.

     Sadie pushed her sweaty hair out of her eyes. "If we had horses..."

     Too risky. I thought, as a stable girl, you would be more concerned for their safety. I unpacked all the food I had, purposely keeping my eyes away from her.