flight

I rooted around inside my pouch for a few moments, then grabbed a thick jacket and pulled it out. I dusted it off, smiling at my small victory.

     "I knew I had one in there somewhere." I said with some satisfaction.

     Sadie was watching me in shock and even a bit of awe. She raised a slightly trembling finger to my pouch. "Y-You had your whole arm in there."

     "Oh, yeah?" I glanced at the little pouch hanging off of my belt. It was about the size of my palm. I laughed. "This? It's got much bigger storage space than it looks. I just stuff everything in there and it's like it vanishes. It's funny, really. I never questioned it."

     "I was gonna ask when you shoved the Master Sword inside, but this is crazy." She hopped closer and poked the little pouch. "It's like magic."

     "Who knows, maybe it is magic. Now come here. I haven't got a smaller jacket for you, but you can use my cloak."

     I wrapped my thick travelling cloak around her several times and flipped the oversized hood onto her head. It fell over her eyes, cupping over her whole head, and she pushed it back, sticking out her tongue at me. 

     Then we crossed into the Hebra region. 

     My boots crunched as I stepped into the fresh snow. It was flurrying lightly, snowflakes drifting through the silent air, catching the morning light and throwing it in all directions like a million glittering stars. The difference in temperature was tangible, the cold cutting through my body like a blade. I was thankful for that one jacket that I've stashed away. 

     It was quiet. Tranquil. The snow lay over the empty terrain like a blanket, muffling the din of the outside world, wiping the troubles of the world clean. 

     My breath misted the brisk air. "Let's go, quickly."

     We rounded a bend, a rounded ledge of rock capped with snow, then the Flight Range was in view. 

     It was a deep crater punched into the earth, a pool of water at the very bottom, disturbed by the aggressive updrafts. Wind -- bitterly cold -- embraced me, bringing with it a swirl of snowflakes, setting the loose bandages of my right hand to flight. 

     A small roost-like cabin rested atop a long chain of ladders, and I heard the distant crackle of a blazing campfire at its heart. A short cantilever-like bridge led off into the void, filled to bursting with whipping wind.

     The snow gleamed like a mirror, holding the sun's light at its surface. 

     I looked closer. 

     There it was -- a navy-blue dot suspended in the air. 

     Revali. 

     He pushed off of the stone walls surrounding the Flight Range, and I could barely track his movements. His speed was astonishing. He streaked to the other side of the massive Range in the blink of an eye, there, then gone. He pulled out the Great Eagle Bow, three bomb arrows sparking at its tip, and took a split second to aim at three different, glowing targets.

     Wait. Was that... Could that be a blindfold?

     I watched, fascinated. 

     He blurred, then he disappeared again. He rematerialized at the other end of the Flight Range, his braids waving wildly in the brutal winds, and for a moment, the air was still. Tense. Silent.

     Then a trail of targets exploded behind him, many more than just three. Within moments, the peaceful Flight Range was transformed into a choking blaze of smoke and fire, almost like a battlefield. I coughed, the explosions ringing in my ears.