Like

As time passed on, you kept feeling that warm aroma whenever you were with Shinsou. Today was no different. It was going to be your last day of filming, the timing going accordingly with six days left until winter break started. You were shooting at the school's quad, it was chronologically and physically the last scene of the short film. Mina's and Kaminari's character were in graduation gowns looking at the campus where they spent the last 4 years of their lives.

They were saying goodbye to that chapter of their life and moving forward on, christening the campus with a bottle of champagne raining over them. There had one chance to get the shot right and you all did.

"CUT! Oh my god...That's a wrap you guys!" You exclaimed as the last shot finished, running up to Mina and Kaminari while beckoning the others to join in a group hug despite their stickiness from the liquer.

Happy tears filled your eyes as the embraces of your friends engulfed you. Shinsou, who was right behind you and slightly leaning over your shoulder, seemed to notice. As you were released from the bear hug he gently took his thumb and brushed them away. It was one of the smallest, kindest, gestures you had ever received in your life. Your breath hitched as you stood in shock.

Did I just feel that right? His hand lingered. I want that again. What the hell is that about, why did I feel like I was going to...

Your thoughts were cut off when you queued in on a voice talking to you.

"We actually did it, all because of this amazing little idea in your head from high school. I gotta say I'm proud of you, and extremely impressed." You realized this intimate compliment came from Shinsou, a small blush creeped up your neck as you actually processed what he said. He called you by your name, that was why you hadn't quite understood what he was saying at first.

"You just used my first name. You've never done that before."

"Oh...Sorry, it just seemed right at the moment, slipped out, you know? Did you not like it?" He seemed almost flustered, as if he let something out that he shouldn't have.

"No! No, I like how you say my name. It sounds even better than when my own family uses it, it's nice. But this means that I get to call you Hitoshi, deal?" During the last sentence, you moved your gaze from the floor to the near purple eyes in front of you. You were in your own little world together, looking at him as you put up your pinky as if to swear it.

"Deal." Was the one thing he said before linking his finger with yours to seal the it. Even such a small touch made your heart jump.

I have a feeling that this boy may be the death of me, how could I let myself get wrapped up in feelings for the first person who showed me how to be human. How could I help it...I like him.

You let out a short sigh and just smiled at him, wondering if this could possibly play out.

But for now, you kept quiet. There was no use fucking up a good thing.

It's for the best, right?

After going out to eat with everyone to celebrate the ending of the filming process, you found yourself in the elevator with Hitoshi, heading up to your home.

Alone.

Which was not anything out of the ordinary, sure, but the space felt hot and tight. Somehow those instances to you now always felt like you were in a trance. Like nothing could go wrong if it was just the two of you, always content with the presence of each other. While simultaneously being jarring and distinctly uncomfortable in a way you couldn't lay your finger on.

"You know, I don't know if I ever said thank you...You know, for helping me take on this project. Even if we don't win the scholarship, I am glad we made my vision come to life. I couldn't have done it without you." As you saw Hitoshi's face, it seemed to show the most true and genuine grin you'd ever laid your eyes on.

"I think I should be the one thanking you for letting me help you, honestly. I was never good at interacting with people, you make it so easy though. Whenever I'm with you it is like life is simpler to understand, you know? I have people that I consider friends now, which I never thought would happen here. Not just that, but now my roommate is my best friend, which I also did not think would really be a thing before coming here." He rubbed the nape of his neck at that last statement with embarrassment, he wasn't used to being so open.

As you headed into your dorm you could not help but dwell on his wording.

Best friend...What if I don't want to just be best friends.

Before you went down that rabbit hole, you shook your thoughts away. Readying yourself for bed, subconsciously finding yourself quiet down, thinking that silencing your voice would therefore quiet the new feelings that seemed more present than normal inside your head. It didn't.

Unknown to you, Hitoshi seemed to notice, gazing at you from his bunk as if to analyze what was wrong. As he did so, he couldn't help his eyes from wandering over your body. Everything being perfectly accented by the low lighting; In your pajamas, you looked perfect to him. It was one of your most basic states to be in, nothing special about it, yet he found it so weirdly ethereal. Well, realistically, he found almost everything about you perfect. From your messy hair, to the chipped nail polish, to the acne on your chin. You were so real to him, and that is what he liked about you.

That's why he'd grown to like you more than anyone else, more than your other friends liked you.

You were fast asleep in your bunk as he continued to ponder the idea of 'what if', clueless to his own realization.