Ch. 1 Wolf Moon

FIRST WEEK
[1×01]

THE SUN HAD DISAPPEARED HOURS AGO, BUT AYLA HALE SAT AWAKE IN THE PASSENGER SEAT OF THE CAR. Her sketchbook was clutched in her hands, even though she had decided to stop drawing around sunset due to the lack of light. It wasn't like she really needed the light if she was being honest. She could see perfectly fine in the dark due to her werewolf side. And even if she couldn't, Derek Hale, the man currently driving the car, had offered to let her turn on the light. She just didn't want to.

The two were sitting in silence. Any of the upbeat music that would come from turning on the radio wouldn't fit their current moods. In most situations, Derek would usually tease his niece until she cheered up. He didn't bother today, however. He knew it wouldn't help.

The car pulled up outside the charred remains of Hale house. Both looked up at the house for a moment. Derek released a sigh, before getting out of the car. He walked around to the back, grabbing both his bag and Ayla's.

The sixteen year old got out of the car, shutting the door behind her. The two walked inside, and Derek led her upstairs to a room that was a little less charred. She sat down on the slightly burnt bed, while Derek sat her bag on the floor. "You should get some sleep before tomorrow," he told her.

"Yeah," she muttered. He moved to leave her alone, but she called after him. "Derek, do you think she's okay?" Ayla wondered.

The man turned towards her, frowning. "Get some sleep, Ayla," he told her.

She sighed as he left the room. She picked up her sketch book, starting to open the pages. She stopped, unable to look at her last drawing again. The one she had been hiding from Derek. The drawing of her mother cut in half.

|

Both Hales frowned as they pulled up to Beacon Hills High school. One just wasn't looking forward to going to school, and the other was trying his hardest not to remember the joy that was his time at the school.

"I should be helping you find her," Ayla argued. She saw a few students glancing at the nice car as they walked by.

Derek frowned, having chosen not to inform her of what he had found in the woods the night before. It was her first day at a new school. She was going to have a hard time as it was. He didn't want to make it worse. Not to mention that he just didn't have the heart to tell her. He knew the news would crush her and, he knew the minute he told her it would be real for him aswell.

"Just try to enjoy the first day," he told her.

"The first day always sucks, Der," Ayla reminded.

He shrugged. "Make some friends for once," he told her.

"I had friends and I left them. Left Piper," she muttered.

Derek frowned. He knew his niece would miss her friends, and her ex-girlfriend. He had always found the overly energetic brunette Ayla put up with rather annoying, but he knew Ayla had loved her. The two had broken up only about two months ago, not that Ayla was anywhere near over the girl. "Make some new ones," he told her, reaching over to open her door.

She sent him a glare, before getting out of the car without another word. "Love you too," Derek yelled, now just trying to annoy the teenager. He chuckled as she saw her lift one finger in the air.