Chapter Six: Finishing It Off

The sun started setting and I had no clue where we were going. I ran up to the front of the line. Where my parents were standing.

"So what's our plan?" I ask suddenly.

"Not sure yet..." My mom said smiling.

"I think we're going to head out to the Vampire Community and see where the last of the few remaining stragglers are." My dad said.

"Then will you explain to me what's going on?" I asked anxiously.

"Yes..." My mother said, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"Guys! We have a problem!" Abby said running up behind us. Caleb and Chase not far behind her. In her hand she was holding out a tablet. A red signal light was blinking in the upper right hand corner.

"What is it?" I ask. My heart picking up again.

"It looks like there are some Slayers on our back." She said zooming in on the surrounding area around us.

"Can you tell how close they are?" I asked nervously.

"Maybe a few miles away..." But they can dash through the woods pretty fast. As long as they don't know we're here and we keep up the pace, we're all good." Abby said closing the screen of her tablet.

"Why don't we dash through the woods?" I ask.

"Then we won't know what we're running into. There might be traps set for us." My mother spoke up.
I nodded. My dad took off in a sprint through the woods. We all followed. It was beginning to get really dark. After a few minutes my heart was pounding. I was starting to loose my breath. I tried to watch my steps so I wouldn't trip. If I did it was over for me and everyone else.
A loud bang echoed through the woods. I stopped, and so did the crunching of the leaves beneath my feet. Everyone else stopped. Another bang echoed through the sky. It was a gunshot. The shots kept coming closer and closer. My family started running. I couldn't move. I stood their, a deer in the headlights. I was shaking, hard. A blurred figure shot through the woods. I couldn't breath. I was going to die.
I'm gonna die.
I'm gonna die.
I'm gonna die.
The impact of the figure leaping out of the woods at me threw me to the ground. A ringing went through my ears. My arm shot up with pain. I cried out.
"Please don't kill me!" I screamed, kicking. My eyes were closed. I didn't want to see the figure. He was growling. I felt his nails digging into my arms. I opened my eyes. His shadow was familiar.
"Blake!" I screamed. He didn't stop.
"Blake please!" I screamed once more. I could feel his nails sinking into my arm. He showed his fangs and brought his face to my neck.
"No! Blake no!" I screamed.
"Blake! It's me! It's Alex! It's- Blake.... please!" I screamed. I was shaking. I didn't have enough strength or energy to push him away from me and run. He pulled his face away and stood up.
"Blake?" I asked. No answer. He reached his hand down, pulling me up onto my feet. He wrapped his arms around me, hugging me. I could hear him crying. I felt his tears running down my back.
"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" He said. "It's not safe near me." He said.
"Blake no! I'm fine Blake!" I said rubbing my hurt arm.
"I'm sorry Alex. But I have to go." He said running back into the woods. I stood their for a minute taking that all in. I heard footsteps behind me. But I didn't care. I was half dead. Whoever it was could kill me in a heartbeat. I had no strength, no energy... A gunshot sounded and the ground shook. I fell to my knees.
"Alex!" Abby yelled. My ears wouldn't stop ringing. I felt someone strong lift me into their arms and sprint through the woods. My eyes stayed open and I watched behind me as my new home bursted into flames.