Chapter Ten

A loud bang sent out and shook the ground. I sat up and winced in pain. Another bang shook the shelter, sending me falling to the ground on my stomach.

What was going on?

I tried sitting up, but I was sent backwards again. But this time by someone.

"Get down!" He yelled. They had a deep voice.

"Chase!" I yelled.

"Shut up!" He said, jabbing me in the stomach with the end of his gun.

"What's going on?" I asked, kneeling beside my bed next to him.

"You were right. Austin's back." Chase said.

Nobody spoke.

"And he's looking for you." Chase said. I looked at his face. He looked worried.

I opened my mouth to give him an 'I told you so.' But he spoke first.

"I know, you told me you saw those visions but I didn't believe... I didn't want to believe you..." He said.

"Oh..." I said looking down at the speck of blood on the floor.

"Here." He said pulling a gun out of his waist band. He handed it to me. I tucked it inside my own waistband.

Another bang shook the place. Screaming ripped across the shelter as people sprang up and ran out.

One older woman fell off her bed and fell limp to the ground.

"Chase!" I screamed pointing at her.

Chase jumped up to his feet and ran up to the woman. He threw her in his arms, bridal style.

"Alex, I need you to go straight to find your parents, Abby, and Caleb. I need to find her family." He said, nodding his head at the old woman in his arms.

"Okay." I said.

"Wait!" Chase said. He reached into his pocket, supporting the woman's back on his knee and threw me my brace.

"Take the sling off and put the brace on, it's easier to fight." He said. He took off running towards the shelters.

I took off the other way to make my way around the war scene.

Fire flared everywhere, and it was pitch black. The flame was illuminating everything making it easier for me to see.

Screams and yells for help were everywhere. Something dashed passed me and I gasped, making it turn around and face me.

"Blake?" I asked, gasping for breath.

"Oh, would you look at that. It's the new girl." Blake said taking a step closer to me.

"Blake! What's gotten into you? What happened to you? You were so nice, then, now, you're a total jerk!" I said. I wanted to punch him so hard in the face, but I had to keep my mind from thinking that.

He looked so different. He was towering over me, and he had long black bangs greasy, and hanging over his right eye. His face was dripping with sweat and he was wearing a black leather jacket, black skinny jeans, and black combat style boots.

"Oh, you remember Austin, don't you?" He asked, shoving his pale hands into his jean pockets.

I nodded and began biting my lip. A blood curdling scream rang out, it didn't seem to faze Blake though. I winced and closed my eyes for a second.

A deep grin set across Blake's face. Whether it was because of the war or my pain, but it beat me.

"Well, Austin and I got in a pretty nasty fight. Which included Austin biting me after that building collapsed. Remember when you came running in for me? Yeah, well, I was already transitioning into a Slayer." He said. He pulled his hands out of his pockets and crossed them across his chest.

"Pretty cool? Huh?" He said taking another step closer to me.

"No. Does it look like I care or that I'm interested?" I asked in frustration.

Blake didn't seem to care because he grabbed my arm and led me back into the medical tent. I tried to resist and run away, but his arms were too strong.

"So, I know you started the process of turning into a Slayer before, but the tests turned out negative, so, why don't we try this again?" He asked me. With his free hand, he reached out and grabbed something off a cart I couldn't see.

"Take two." He said slamming me into the nearest wall. He slid his blade from his pocket and pressed it against my neck, preventing me from moving.

With his free hand he pulled out what he grabbed off the cart.

It was a needle.

"No!" I screamed. "Help! Chase!" I screamed I started flailing, but Blake's knife dug deeper into the flesh of my neck.

He tapped the tip of the needle with his index finger, making the clear liquid in the needle mix around.

"I would kill you Alex," he started, holding the needle up. "But we're meant to be together, that's why I'm going to help and speed up your process of becoming a Slayer vampire. Just picture our wedding. And our children. How many do we plan on having?" He asked. A long grin spread across his face.

"I actually used to love you, but now you're such a jerk, I don't... I just don't understand!" I said, a tear streaming down my face.

"You never answered my question..." Blake said, looking impatient.

"None!" I screamed. I felt my face turn beat red as I punched him in the face.

"Get away from me!" I yelled. I jumped over the bed beside me, but missed sending my face flying to the floor, but my legs stayed on the bed.

"Any last words?" He asked, putting his hand on my arm.

"Yeah," I yelled. I ripped my gun out of my waistband and shot him in the leg. His face looked surprised. I tried to run, but I was too late. He tackled me to the ground and stabbed the needle into my arm.

I screamed in pain as tears started streaming down my face.

Both of us laid motionless on the floor of the medical shelter. I stared into his eyes and he crawled over to me a little.

"Alex, I'm sorry, I don't understand what got into me." He said. "Oh, who am I kidding? Like I care..." He stretched his neck out to me and sniffed my neck.

"Like I said, just speeding up the process..." He said. He sunk his teeth into my neck.

My body started shaking constantly and I started screaming as hard as I could. My body started becoming numb. Starting from my feet, going to my knees, to my stomach, to my arms, then fingertips, to my neck, then my head. I lay there motionless, staring into the eyes of my enemy.

"I love you Alex." He said. His head slammed down onto the concrete and his eyes slammed shut. A pool of blood started forming around his head.

My vision started blurring. I heard footsteps running through the dirt outside me.

"Chase?" I whispered. I felt warm wet blood spill around me.

Something knelt next to me and cradled my head in their hands.

"I need help." They whispered.

"Help!" They screamed. They picked me up in their arms, and I felt them take off running.

All of the sounds of screaming, flame, and gravel, started echoing... Everything stopped motionless, as I fell into a deep sleep.