Chapter Nine

I woke up as we were walking out of the thick bushes and out of the woods. We were following a stone path, and I could already hear families and friends talking.

We were finally at the shelter!

Chase turned his head and whispered in my ear.

"Hey Sleeping Beauty, we're finally at the shelter. We're all gonna get cleaned and fixed up. Sound good?" He said. His voice sounded so comforting and warm.

I nodded and hugged him around the neck more so I wouldn't fall.

I could hear the gravel crunching under every ones shoes as we made our way down to the shelter.

Conversation kept getting louder and louder as we got closer and closer. Eventually, we entered a plain white tent with one table and a few outdoor metal chairs.

"Hello. My name's Kenzie. Are you guys looking for nurses or shelters?" She asked. I peeked over Chase's shoulder and watched her eyes go straight to me.

"Nurse?" She asked. I rolled my eyes and nodded.

"We also need a shelter though too..." Chase added.

"For how many?" Kenzie asked pulling out a pen and paper.

"Six." Chase said counting everyone again.

"Alright." Do you four want to go down to your shelter? And you two down to the nurses shelter?" The lady asked pointing to Abby, Caleb, and my parents first, then Chase and I. We all nodded and Kenzie left with my parents Caleb and Abby to our shelter.

Chase and I ended up following signs until we made it to the nurses tent. Again, there was a table and a woman sitting in a metal chair.

"Emergency?" She asked pulling out paper and a pen.

"Yes." Chase said.

I tried to look sicker than I was, if that was even possible, to make them hurry up and get me into a room.

"This way please." She said walking us over to a bed out in the open.

By each bed, was one metal chair and a small table to hold food or drinks.

"Your nurse should be here as soon as possible." She said, turning and walking out the door.

Chase spun around and let me off his back and onto the bed.

I lied down on the bed and he sat down on the hard metal chair. Just then, a woman nurse came around the side of the bed with a clip board and pen.

"Hi. My name is Cynthia. I'm the nurse. Where are your worst injuries?" She asked eyeing my arm and leg.

"Uhh... My leg I got burned, and my arm got shot and broken. And I might have a concussion...." I said. I sounded so stupid.

"Alright." She said. She had one of those fake smiles with the perfect white teeth. Her long wavy brown hair fell into her eyes and she stepped closer to me to check my injuries.

She started at my arm.

"So what happened here?" She asked again, gently picking my arm up.

"I got attacked by a Slayer Vampire and he tried to kill me and I fell back on my arm. Then somebody sent out a gunfire that hit me, and I blacked out." I said, flinching as she lifted my arm up more.

"Sorry. But what happened here, right next to the bullet wound?" She asked.

"Where?" I asked turning my head.

I heard Chase lean forward in his seat to take a closer look.

She pointed her black pen at a puffy orange spot by my shoulder. Small red dots were starting to form. It was right about where you would get your flu shot. Shot.... Shot....