Chapter 5

Heungsoo knew Namsoon was probably asleep. It was 3 a.m., but he couldn't wait. They hadn't been talking for weeks. What's one more day? But Heungsoo couldn't even wait for another hour to pass since he reached a decision. He had to see Namsoon now!

What's taking him so long?

Give me a sec, Namsoon had replied to his text. But that was five minutes ago. The door still had not opened.

Heungsoo was getting impatient and just when he was about to knock, the door finally opened and the sight of a freshly showered Namsoon greeted him.

"You left me standing out here while showered? You couldn't just have opened the door and let me in first?" Heungsoo griped as he pushed his way inside Namsoon's house.

If Namsoon had been red from the hurried "clean-up" of his mess, he immediately paled at Heungsoo's sudden censure. He gritted his teeth and willed his sudden tears back. Feeling like he'd been clawed by an angry leopard in the chest, he closed the door quietly. His hand stayed at the doorknob a little longer, the bowed line of his back expressed his great reluctance to have another confrontation with Heungsoo.

Heungsoo bit the inside of his cheek, punishing himself for making another stupid and hurtful comment to Namsoon. Fuck! This wasn't what he intended to do. In fact, it was the complete opposite. He paced the living room and waited for Namsoon to join him.

"Look..." Heungsoo started brusquely but he faltered when he thought Namsoon looked at him in fear.

"I'm sorry, Namsoon-ah," he said softly and contritely. "I overreacted and I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. I didn't tell you the whole truth and I'm sorry about that," Namsoon said.

"If you really love Ha Kyung, then I'll support you like a best friend should. I won't complain if you'll be spending more time with her than you'll be with me. Hell, when we were in middle school, I spent more time with my soccer than I did with you and you didn't complain once. I've realized what an idiot and a greedy friend I've been. So do you have some ramyeon?" Heungsoo suddenly changed the subject and forced his voice to sound cheerful, hoping Namsoon wouldn't dwell on his embarrassing speech.

Namsoon was glad Heungsoo's not angry at him anymore but he couldn't be more wrong. And still Namsoon just couldn't bring himself to correct the misunderstanding.

Their midnight (or, more appropriately, early dawn) snack was awkward, but they survived it. Like they always do. And in the end, they were almost back to normal.

Heungsoo chose not to crash at Namsoon's house. He didn't want to push it.

Namsoon was disappointed and relieved all at once. It was getting harder to be in close quarters with Heungsoo.

"Are you really alright?" Kang Joo asked Ha Kyung after the other girl confided what really happened that made her miss school.

Ha Kyung nodded and smiled at her friend. "I really am. At first, it was a bit scary but overall I was just angry and frustrated."

"Well, I never thought I'd say this but I'm glad he was there," Kang Joo commented, leaning back on the tree they were sitting under. Lunch time wasn't over yet and the girls wanted a little privacy for their conversation. They've learned the hard way that the restroom was definitely not the place to spill secrets.

"Hmm..." Ha Kyung murmured absently, her mind going to that late night run-in with some hoodlums, her unlikely knight-in-shining-armor, the minor scuffle, the chase and the successful getaway.