Chapter 7 - Cloud 9

A/N I feel like we're lacking Alex fluff so enjoy a chapter of purely that. This is my favorite yet. :')

Stella's POV
We finally made it to Sacramento, California aka beginning the North American part of the tour. Fans were absolutely loving the combination of the bands and I was too. I had to admit my brothers band was pretty talented. We had today off before they had to get back to work. I asked Luke if he was up to anything and he said he was busy with Sierra. Figures but I wasn't mad about it. Jack and I hadn't talked since our argument so I texted Alex. We decided on a fair we saw on the drive to the Hotel. Also yes, we finally got to sleep in a hotel instead of the buses.
The summer evening is dewy with humidity, the fairground packed with people. Children shrieking on a nearby carnival ride, long lines of people trailing through the trampled grass waiting their turn to purchase funnel cake and lemonades, more ride tickets, and glow sticks.
We sat at a picnic table, I was watching with affection as Alex licked powdered sugar from his fingers.
I prayed it wasn't obvious it was a date. I wanted to protect his career but also show him off everywhere I go.
His shirt was stuck to his sides with sweat from the heat, his short hair fluffy in a way that made me want to reach out and run my hands through it.
"That's pretty good," he says, moving on from the funnel cake to the fried oreos and loaded nachos.
"You're going to make yourself sick," I said, pushing the napkin dispenser closer to him.
"Nah," he says, licking liquid cheese from his thumb. "I still have to get through the frito pie, the french fries, and the fried pickles."
"Oh god, Alex-"
"Kidding! Or am I..."
"Suit yourself. I'll laugh at you later when you hurl on the tilt-a-whirl."
"Don't you want any, sweetheart?" He asks, ignoring my snark.
I shook your head and picked at the remains of my funnel cake.
He seemed determined to try every greasy food on the menu.
"There's supposed to be fireworks later this evening," I noted. "Wanna stay and watch?"
He nods, "Of course. Although I need time to win you one of those," Alex nods toward the long line of booths with games and stuffed animals lining from the ceiling and walls.
I rolled my eyes. "I do not need some bear, Alex."
"You sure about that?" He takes a long sip of the beer in front of him. "I think you could use one. Something to hold on to when I'm not around."
I scoffed. "God, I'm not that desperate." Maybe I was and maybe I really wanted him to win me something but I won't admit to that.
Alex groans "C'mon! I'll win your that damn stuffed animal and you'll treasure it forever. Mark my words."
"Sure, I will," I snip back, smiling, waiting for him to finish the greasy spread in front of him. I would have liked to have an oreo had Alex not already inhaled all of them.
As soon as he's done, he gathers up the various wrappers and tosses them in an already overflowing bin.
Alex gestures out at the long line of arcade and skill games. "The world is your oyster. You pick the challenge, I win the prize."
I was overwhelmed with options until I spotted a colorful stall with stuffed Pokémon prizes. Alex immediately steed me that way, smiling.
The sun is starting to fade, the world painted in shades of yellow and gold, pink and peach. I can could hear the laughter and screams of delight, friends shouting playfully at each other. A band has started playing somewhere, the crickets loud in the grass.
It's a perfect summer evening.
I wanted to lean up to press a kiss to his cheek, but I knew I shouldn't. He looked at me as if to tell me he felt the same.
We stood in line, watching person after person fail at the game.
Turns out its a balloon game:

5 dollars for 5 darts
Pop five, Big prize: Pop three, Small prize

I watched a cocky smile spread over Alex's face with assurance that he could win with little effort. The sun is rapidly setting now, neon lights of the rides and stalls reflecting in his bright eyes.
He slapped a five down onto the counter when it's his turn and receives five darts from the teenager behind the counter. "Thank you much," he says, confidence brimming over. "Just watch this, Stell."
I stood back and watched.
His brow furrows as each dart strikes, but doesn't pop a single balloon. "What the hell?" he asks, turning to look at me. "What the hell?"
I shrugged, infinitely amused, as he pulls out another five, now carefully analyzing the wall of balloons. The crease between his eyes has appeared, hard concentration radiating from his gaze, shoulders back, spine stiff. This must've really mattered to him. It was ridiculously adorable.
I glanced again at the prize wall. Obviously I had to pick Charmander as it's always my starter.
His face changes then, like a light bulb flickering on. "I got it, doll," he says, smiling back at me. "It's rigged."
"Of course it is. They all are"
"Yeah, but I figured the trick out!"
He looks proud of himself and so I gesture for him to get on with it. "Go on then, impress all of us."
Alex recollected his darts. He aims, throws and pops every single target.
The kid behind the counter whistles. "Pretty good shot. Pick whatever you want."
"Oh," he starts sarcastically, turning dramatically to me, hand over heart. "I know you didn't want any dumb stuffed animal so maybe I should-,"
"That one," I pointed to the stuffed Charmander with a fluffy, flame tail. "I want that one right in the middle."
I'm handed the toy and tucked it under my arm. "Thank you very much, Alex. He's adorable."
"I'm more of a Squirtel guy but I support it."
The day has cooled into night now and Alex suggests going to find a private place to watch the fireworks show later.
"That just means you want to find somewhere to make out." I accused.
"Well," he starts, clearing his throat, "I mean I brought that picnic blanket and all."
I bit back a smile. "Oh, is that what it's for?"
"Yep. Kissing while stuff explodes in the sky? What more could you want?"
The crowd finally died down quite a bit. I leaned against him as we walked, not minding that his body heat added to the warm air in an almost uncomfortable way, squeezing my new stuff animal tight.
"Only if we can get more funnel cake and lemonade."
"Way ahead of you, sweetheart," he says, dragging me back into line by a food truck. "Hey," he says, "Thanks for coming with me today." he murmurs, voice serious. His blue eyes fastened on mine.
"Of course. I wouldn't have it any other way."