Chapter 16

Jefferson opened a door and shoved Emma into a room where the walls were lined up with tophats, similar to the ones he has been delivering to Sarah's house, anonymously.

"I don't know what you think you're doing, but if you hurt my friend, I swear I'll make you regret it," Emma said.

"Hurt her? I'm saving her life," Jefferson said.

"How do you figure that?" Emma asked.

"Don't play stupid. We both know what happens when people try to leave Storybrooke," Jefferson said.

"What are you talking about?" Emma asked.

"The curse," Jefferson said.

"What curse?" Emma asked.

"The one keeping us all trapped. All except you," Jefferson said.

"Have you been reading Henry's book?" Emma asked.

"Henry? You mean the Queen's father?" Jefferson questioned.

"Henry, the mayor's adopted kid," Emma said.

"Oh, Henry. Your Henry. And his book of stories. The ones that you choose to ignore. Maybe, if you knew what I know, you wouldn't," Jefferson said.

"Why have you been spying on me?" Emma asked.

"Because, for the last twenty-eight years, I've been stuck in the same cycle, the same nightmare. Day after day, always the same. Until one night, you, in the little yellow bug, roll into town, and the clock ticks and things start to change. You see... I know what you refuse to acknowledge, Emma. You're special. You brought something precious to Storybrooke, magic," Jefferson said.

"You're insane," Emma said.

"Because I speak the truth?" He asked.

"Because you're talking about magic," Emma said.

"I'm talking about what I've seen. Perhaps, you're the one's who are mad," Jefferson said.

"Really?" Emma asked.

"What's crazier than seeing and not believing? Because that's exactly what you have been doing since you got to our little hamlet," Jefferson stood in front of her, inches from her face, "Open your eyes. Look around. Wake up. Isn't it about time?" Jefferson said.

"What do you want?" Emma asked.

"I want you to get it to work," Jefferson told her and shoved her into chairs.

"You want me to get to work?" Emma said in confusion as she saw a hat in front of her on the table.

"You're the only one that can do this. You're gonna get it to work," Jefferson said.

Flashback

Jefferson and the Evil Queen ended up inside Jefferson's hat. Several different coloured doors are lining the inside wall of the hat.

 Several different coloured doors are lining the inside wall of the hat