L Lawliet

I'm sorry in advance for making two sad one shots in a row but like I'm not changing it

Spoilers go without say I mean the title is technically a spoiler

"Hey." You said lazily as you walked up to the greatest detective alive.

He nodded towards you which was better than nothing so you took it. "Anything new or exciting?" You asked.

"Well no, but that could be what he wants us to think. The murders haven't stopped despite Light's containment." L finally turned to you. "Where do you stand on this? Thoughts?"

You shrugged. You weren't too into mind games and all that detective work. In all honesty you were only there to support L and keep him safe. But you liked to try and help, "Well it was a bit weird that he offered to be locked up. He could have wanted that to happen just so he could prove it wasn't him. Make himself look innocent. Although of course he very well could be. I don't know everything's like a double edged sword. He could or he couldn't be Kira." You took care of L's dirty plates and set a new slice of strawberry cake in front of him, "An innocent man would also want to prove they were innocent just as much as a guilty one would."

L took your thoughts into consideration. "I suppose you're right. But there's a 76% chance that Light is in fact Kira."

"That's a high percentage." You smile at him as he takes a bite of his cake, "Say, what's the chance that you'll give me a bite of that?"

"92% if you want it of course." L held out his fork with a piece on it for you.

You leaned down and took it, "Thanks."

---------------------------

Normally L was sitting hunched over his work at this time of night but you couldn't find him anywhere on the investigation floor. You looked out the window to see it pouring and you prayed you were wrong about where he was.

To your dismay you found him on the roof, soaked, and just staring out at the city. To not disturb him too much you calmly walked over and stood beside him. "Hell Y/N. Beautiful night isn't it?"

You nodded and laced your fingers with his own, "It is. But you cant see the stars with all the rain clouds."

"That's true." L says and finally turns to you, "Was there something you needed?"

"Yes actually. I need you to refrain from getting sick. Standing in the cold rain isn't the smartest choice. You should come inside and I can make us some tea and sweets. Sound nice?"

L smiled at you and allowed you to lead him back inside. When you stepped out of the elevator Waturi was already there with towels for the both of you.

Once dry and comfortable you set up in your floor of the building. You had decided to use the living room as a nice to place to sit and talk. But no talking was necessary and you sipped tea and ate goodies. It was a comfortable silence until L broke it.

"What are we?" 

His sudden question shocked you. You weren't expecting it and you didn't know exactly how to answer. What were you? You were friends and coworkers but lovers didn't seem to quite fit. Sure you had fooled around a couple times but it wasn't anything serious.  You had made sure to discuss it after every time and both had agreed that it wasn't anything to important. 

You carefully took another sip of tea before placing it down. You looked at L for a moment before asking, "What do you want us to be?"

The question seemed to stump even the worlds greatest detective. He finished off another macaroon or two before finally answering. "I believe were partners. In every sense but romantically."

"And is that okay with you?" You asked. 

"Yes." He then paused. "Love is a liability. One I don't want to have as a burden."

You nodded and picked back up your tea but before you could take a drink L continued, "But I wouldn't mind if it were you."

---------------------------

Nothing had really changed between the two of you. At least not in front of the others. There really wasn't much to change once you had officially gotten together. Neither of you were very touchy people so pda was never a thing. You were also both formal people and didn't like using nicknames or pet-names. So overall nothing had changed between your interactions and you highly doubted anyone in the group had suspected you two of dating. Even if they did there was no mention of it because there were bigger tasks at hand like the Kira case.

But behind closed doors was a whole different thing. At night you would always be in each others rooms. Wither it was just talking, hanging out, something else. You were always together at night. Most of the time you would end up sleeping together in the same bed. 

It was like making up for all the time you spent not with each other during the day. So in the night you were all his and he was yours. But besides just affection you both helped each other at night. You made sure L got his insomniac butt to bed and he always made sure to comfort you when you had nightmares. It was a win for both of you and you wished you had been doing this for years.

It was a different story however when L decided to handcuff himself to Light. Now you had already dislikes Light from the start but the fact that he was a suspicious enough to take away your good nights rest by being handcuffed to your boyfriend sent you over the edge. You hated the handcuffs. You thought they were stupid and instead they should just throw him back in the cell. You never voiced these opinions but you could tell L caught on pretty fast and promised he would make up for it.

---------------------------

He didn't keep his word. L instead busied himself with the Kira case so much that you couldn't even convince to come to bed with you no matter how hard you tried. He wouldn't budge and would end up with no sleep and would be incredibly overworked. You tried your best to help him but he seemed to refuse all your help.

It go so bad that you threatened to break up with him because he was ignoring his own health and your relationship to the point you couldn't stand it. You didn't get the reaction you were hoping for.

"Alright then." Was all he said and went back to work.

"Alright then?" You repeated. 

"Yes. We're through." L said.

You stood there shocked. He said it so emotionlessly and you were used to his monotone voice but this was different. There truly was no emotion behind it. His eyes were dull and blank and he just focused on his work.

"Fine." You said and tried to ignore the tears in your eyes. "I guess that's it." 

You wiped your tears and left but not without saying, "You're gonna work yourself to death y'know?"

---------------------------

Oh how you hated being right. You had gotten a call from Matsuba and rushed to the building. When you got there you made a beeline to the room he had told you to go to. There you swung the door open and froze.

There he was. Lifeless, cold eyes staring up at the ceiling. You willed your limbs to move and you fell to your knees by his side. Tears already streaming down your face as you reached for his hand.

"I told you." You whispered. "I told you, you were going to work yourself to death."

His hand was cold and unmoving in your grip but you just knelt there praying that it would hold you back. You prayed that he would come back to life, if only for a moment, so you could tell him goodbye. Tell him you love him.

But the gods weren't on your side today. 

I rewatched death note recently because it's my favorite anime and even though I will die by team Light, L needs some love too lmao And lemme just say Light has done some messed up shit but killing L is probably the worst and he didn't even technically do it himself lol