※{The Confidante}※

"We will set our camp here

"We will set our camp here. There is enough open ground space and it appears to be dry, we will not be able to find another spot quite like this before nightfall if we keep moving." Emmeline declared her assessment, gesturing Sir Cornell to prepare for the night stop.

It was almost dusk; the unit had covered more than half the journey as previously planned by Emmeline.

While Sir Cornell and the knights checked the area thoroughly, the maids and the servants began setting up the tents and preparing for dinner.

Emmeline guided the horses along with a servant of hers towards the makeshift temporary stable.

"Easy Atticus, you seem out of your form today boy. Rest up well tonight" she spoke to her horse before leaving the reigns to the servant.

"Lets the horses graze on fresh grass for a while, later fill up the stable with forage and tie them lightly so that they don't go wandering around."
"Yes My Lady. Please rest assured; I will take good care of them."

The servant nodded and walked away with Atticus and the other horses.

"My Lady your chamber is ready; I have laid out the documents you wanted to look through as instructed. Dinner will be prepared by about twenty moments."

"Sure Melissa, then I would like to rest up for a while before dinner. Have Sir Cornell visit me after he is done inspecting the grounds, I would like to have a word with him." Having passed her instructions to Mel, she walked towards her set up tent.

Emmeline stretched a bit to ease her joints, and then sat down to finish her drafts for the new taxation policy she was putting together to propose at the Duke's discussion court.

"Sir Cornell is requesting to see Her Grace" Melissa announced from outside the chambers.

"He may enter"

"Good eveni-"

"Drop the formalities Austin, take a seat" she said while still scribbling on her documents.

"It has been a while since we spoke informally, Emmeline" Austin spoke, somewhat hesitant in his tone.

"Quite a long while commander, now you already know what I will be asking you, so save me the effort and report what you know"

Caught off-guard with her comments, Austin stared blankly at her for a second before he burst into laughter.

"You have certainly become more straightforward and stern since we last spoke. I was almost intimidated enough to let you in on a thing or two"

Hearing this, Emmeline put her pen down as she finally fixed her gaze at Austin's amused face. Resting her elbows on the table with her fingers interlocked with each other, she held a rather unnerving posture.

"I see you are feeling a bit too comfortable Sir Cornell. May I remind you that I do not have a habit of repeating myself?"

"Uh this is a bit too menacing My Lady. The truth is however I do not really have anything quite substantial to report."

Emmeline still held her form as if it was the last warning. "You certainly do not expect me to believe that now, do you? After all you are his most cherished confidante." The left corner of her lips lifted into a mocking smirk.

"I do not have anything to report- e-except for the fact that His Highness Archduke received a letter that was signed by the Crown Prince himself." Sir Cornell finally spoke giving in to the tension Emmeline had purposely created.

"The Crown Prince? What for?"

"I do not know the contents of the letter but I presume it is regarding the Royal Banquet that will be taking place next week."

"Ah I see! Please- for goodness sake, do not tell me Father called on me so urgently to attend a fancy party of vain!"

"Per-Perhaps that is the case. Maybe he wants you to play a melody or sing at the Banquet?"

Emmeline stared blankly, not so amused at his witty remarks.

"My Lady the dinner is ready, may I serve it to you and Sir Cornell at once?" Melissa's voice broke the agitation within the tent.

"Let us have dinner Your Grace, I am famished and you too seem quite exhausted."

Emmeline stood up, signaling Melissa to have the dining area ready. "Call the servants and have the  knights join us as well. I only offer this as we need to finish dinner early and get as much rest as possible. Dining together will be quicker."

"This is very generous of you Miss; I will inform them at once while you take a little walk to the dining area."

As Sir Cornell followed Emmeline in silence, he spoke hesitantly "My apologies Emmeline, I should have let you know that though Your Father needs your presence urgently, it is not a matter of regional conflict or stress as such."

Hearing this Emmeline stopped and turned to face Sir Cornell, with a tinge of annoyance in her voice she replied.

"I reject your apology commander. I believe I was being too cautious keeping in mind that my Father is not affectionate enough of me to call upon so urgently, simply because he wants to see me; also given the current state of Norwich, it is only a matter of time before we fall. So, naturally I calculated for the reasons I would be needed at the Central Castle as it was not explicit in the letter. You need not express regret for obediently following your orders Sir Cornell. The only regretful thought I am bearing is that my visit would be a waste of time and energy."

(Now at the dining area, having dinner with everyone)

"We will start at dawn again tomorrow. Initially our pace would be rather slow because it is an uphill journey for a quarter of the remaining distance to the city. However, we have covered a couple of extra miles today, so that the uphill journey need not be rushed. Same formation, we are expected to reach the Central Castle by dusk tomorrow.

Sir Cornell, I would need one of the knights to deliver the Letter of Arrival to the castle, please assign your swiftest Knight for the task. He will have to set earlier than us." Emmeline explained her instructions in a detailed manner and then proceeded to glance at Sir Cornell for accordance. He appeared a little dispirited after their short stressful conversation earlier. She was wondering if she had been a bit too harsh to him; though they have been friends since as long as she can remember, it still puts her in an awkward situation that Austin, her closest friend is also the closest confidante to her Father. She has forced herself to uphold a more formal relationship ever since the Duke started confiding more and more into him. Sir Cornell a trustworthy knight of firm morals, however, often goes against his ideals by informing Emmeline of the 'secret' talks concerning her between him and the Duke, even if it weighs heavily on his conscience.

"Noted My Lady, I shall have my most trusted man ready for the task."

"I expect nothing less. All of you finish your dinner well and have a good rest tonight. I would like to withdraw for the day now."

"Sleep well Your Grace" Sir Cornell greeted her softly while escorting Emmeline to her chamber followed by Melissa.

"You too, rest up well commander."