※{Tangled Strings}※

(Jim POV)

Just what was I thinking! 'If it is my company you require I will be present before you'? Even worse 'I stayed for you Milady' these words slipped from me? I feel mortified. This is giving me a headache; I should leave this place before I embarrass myself further and never ever show up again.
Of course she only wants to see the garden, with or without me doesn't matter. 'A map would suffice' is still echoing in my mind like a bad curse. She is exactly like the rumors speak of her, the daunting Lady of Arundane but talking to her up close almost fooled me into thinking she might not be so cold after-all. 

"Ouch!" This damned harp string. How cheap of a quality is it!

"Careful Mr. Jim! You broke another string from the instrument." Andrae's words were of concern but his tone sounds disappointed and mocking at the same time or it might just be my overly aware mind being cynical again.

"I think I will stick to the piano. Playing harp is painful." I put away the cursed instrument aside. It was rare for strings to be hurting me like this but I suppose it is only fair since my attention tonight was not sincere enough.

"Mr. Jim, is something bearing heavy on your mind?" he passed me the cooling ointment for the stinging sensation caused by the whip of the broken string. Luckily there are no cuts but it still does not hurt any less.

"No- not really. Actually, get me a plain paper to draw on with the quill & ink. Since I cannot fall asleep, I might as well finish the map."

Aren't humans more reliable than maps? Wouldn't I make a better alternative than that dead piece of tree with lines drawn?

After he got me what I had asked of him, I told Andrae to call it a day and go rest. He earnestly complied though I wished he was a little more concerned of me like Lady Melissa or Sir. Carnival or whatever that stone of a man's name is, are for Lady of the house. A small 'No Mr. Jim, I will stay until you go to sleep' would not hurt him but forget it. 

I was almost finished with my detailed map-work, just when there was a knock at the door. That somehow gave me déjà vu but I thought it would be foolish to expect her on the other side of my doors again.

****

"Well met! Mr. Jim I was not sure if you would still be awake but it is a relief that you are."

Turns out, I was not foolish at all. The only thing foolish now is that I feel oddly joyful seeing her. If she keeps this routine up of finding me when it gets quiet and dark, how long am I expected to resist?  

There she was, holding that noble posture of hers with the formal smile. It is a 'relief' I am awake?

"Please come in Lady Emor. What brings you here at this hour?" Again.

"I know I should have waited till the morning to discuss this but I am really running short of time; so if it is not much of a bother I would like to talk to you regarding something." She was hesitant but her words were laced with urgency in the tone. It must be really important then.

"Please do not think of it as a bother for me. It is more of an honor to be of help to you Milady."

"Thank you Mr. Jim. Before I tell you more, I have a question. Since you mentioned that you do not have any commitments as such and it is not the reason for you to leave the castle, would you be willing to assist me for a journey to the capital?"

With eyes as compelling as hers, one must have a soul etched in stone to refuse her request.

"If it is your orders, I will gladly comply but it feels odd to me that out of the countless worthy people you have at your service, you have approached me."