※{Awakened the Sleepless}※

[TW: There is an imagery of blood and wounds later in the chapter. You may choose to skip it if need be. The two asterisks ** mark the start and end of the mentioned scene. The paragraph is also italicized for your ease.]

***************************************

The birds are already awake, chirping outside while Emmeline gets dressed. Since she had not brought along her own clothes she borrowed a bell sleeved grey colored shirt and navy sailor trousers from the guest's cupboard. The fabric appeared decades old suggesting it probably has been left hanging in the wardrobe ever since this fort was made Smeraldo's prison of flowers.

While adjusting her sheathed sword and fastening it to her waist, she peeked down from the window to look at the horses briefly; Smeraldo was fixing Atticus's saddle and right beside him, her eyes fell on Jim who was caressing Silk's withers.

Having spent another night sleepless since the day they met, Emmeline tried hard in vain to not think of all that was said and done the night before. The sensation of his hand, holding hers was still fresh in her mind as she stared at her palms for a brief moment before shaking it off. She picked the flowers lying by on the bedside table and wrapped them in the damask cloth. The Blue Iris of confession and a Silver Rose of magic as a token of their rendezvous last night that was now a faint memory in her mind.

The rose did not need to be preserved as it turned into a literal silver form and if her assumptions were true, it would take on the glow and the original floret form under moonlight again; as for the blue iris she had something else in mind.

"Are we ready to move?" Emmeline asked cheerfully as she made her way towards where Jim and Smeraldo stood. Steering clear from his searching eyes, she half bowed and made her way straight to Atticus. Placing her cloak on the saddle she secured the bag to the hook and checked the reigns. "Thank you Smeraldo. Jolly sweet of you to have fixed the pillion beforehand." She extended her hand for a handshake towards him.

"It was nothing much. I hope you have a safe journey ahead. Please do stop by on your way back." He accepted the handshake.

"Will try my best."

"Thanks for letting us stay overnight friend." Jim caught Smeraldo in an embrace, patting his back a few times before letting go.

"Oh sure you are the last person I would expect gratitude from. Walk in shamelessly anytime you need to."

"I would but do me a favor and lower that goddamn doorbell."

"Ha-ha- I will see what I can do about that." Smeraldo passed Silk's reigns to Jim that he was holding onto while mounting.

"Goodbye-" Jim said one last time as he turned around with Silk to pass through the gates.

"Goodbye and I wish you all the good luck for the day you can take off that mask of yours and go see her." Emmeline said softly before she too climbed over Atticus and plotted towards the gates after receiving a goodbye wave from her host.

"Thank you. I hope I can one day." He muttered under his breath as he watched them disappear into the groves. When they had been gone for a while, a smile broke over his lips as he reached out for his mask; taking it off and letting it fall to the ground.

******************

It had been a while since they started following the path. Absolute silence between them as they left the groves behind and were now treading down the faint dirt road.