Preparations

Hey everyone! I hope all of you are doing well :) I apologize for the wait for this chapter, and it is kind of short, but I hope everyone enjoys it!

.

.

Milu

The wind was in the sails of the boat as Milu, Ri Chu, and Lie Ren cast off for the Jade Palace. The boat nearly took off towards the Valley, causing the three animals to stumble to catch their footing. The sun was beginning to set but, with the wind as strong as it was, Milu believed they could make it to the Palace by sun-up if they kept this pace.

Several minutes after Ri Chu untied Shui's boat and cast off down the river, all three of the animals were quiet. Ri held her sword tightly in one paw and the rope guiding the sail in the other. She was an experienced sailor and knew every part of the river leading to the Valley, so Milu and Lie Ren trusted her to lead the way. However, Ri made no effort to speak with the other two, instead quietly focusing her senses on the waters ahead.

Lie Ren was the first to break the silence several minutes after setting sail, "So...you just left Wan behind?" He spoke to no one in particular. To anyone not paying attention, he might've even been talking to himself.

Ri Chu visibly bristled, but Milu heard her take a deep breath before she turned and gazed steadily at the younger wolf. "Wan made his own choice. He didn't want to fight, so I won't force him." She spoke. Ri Chu then muttered under her breath, "Even though loyalty to the pack should trump selfish desires."

Lie Ren whimpered at Ri Chu's statements. He frowned, "I wish he could come with us." He whispered. Ri Chu huffed.

"And I wish Kai never attacked our village." She growled. Her voice softened and she turned her attention back to the river in front of them, "But not everything can be perfect. We will just have to do without him."

Lie Ren nodded, and Milu turned and looked at him. "Chin up, son. We'll be at the Jade Palace soon. Hopefully, we will find what we need there."
"What exactly are we looking for?" He asked curiously.

"Food, any survivors from Kai's attack, and hopefully a map to the panda village," Milu said, watching as Ri Chu turned the boat around a bend in the river.

"Are there any survivors?" The brown wolf asked over her shoulder, "You were there when Kai attacked, I assume?"

"I only know that Master Tigress and Tai Lung escaped with Huo. All of the other palace attendants evacuated." Milu stated. {Along with Elena,} He thought. He still missed his wife dearly, but he still hoped that she was still evacuated with the other villagers despite his heart longing for her. She would be safe with them.

Milu sat down on the deck of the boat. There was enough room for the three of them, so long as Ri Chu- or whoever was manning the sail- remained standing. Lie Ren sat down across from him. "What was that thing you did earlier to Ri Chu? To heal her?" He asked.

The wapiti opened his eyes, "Chi." He answered. "I used more chi this last week than I have in the last ten years."

"But you're good at it, right?" Lie Ren had a hopeful tone in his voice, "Could you teach chi?"

Milu couldn't help but smirk at the young wolf's enthusiasm, "Despite what you may have seen in the village, that took nearly everything in me. I only know how to heal with chi, not fight. And-" Milu's face fell as he spoke, "that won't be enough to defeat Kai."

Lie Ren frowned. "But I want to help."

Ri Chu, who had been silently listening, spoke quietly, "By joining us, you are helping, Ren. Don't think that just because we didn't win the first battle doesn't mean we won't win the second. With the wind with us, we should arrive at the Jade Palace by morning."