The Successor

The Spirit Realm had always been quiet. It was always peaceful for those masters who wanted to meditate or practice calming rituals.

It wasn't quite like that now. After Po destroyed Kai, little golden explosions rang out across the Spirit Realm as Masters were restored to their form.

Master Porcupine, Master Thundering Rhino, and countless other Masters- dead in the living world- were restored to their life in the Spirit Realm.

At the center of the Spirit Realm, rising from the peacefully clear water, was an island with a tree.

Po- stunned and dazed from his victory- floated harmlessly downwards towards that island. Master Oogway, wearing a shining golden cape and robe, watched from the island. The tortoise floated up to meet him: "Dragon Warrior," he greeted.

Almost immediately, Po felt the feeling return to his body. "Oogway?" He asked in disbelief, turning his body so he could take in the tortoise in all his glory. "Woah..." Po floated facefirst into the water but flailed himself back to be somewhat upright. "You're extra shiny!" Po giggled.

"As are you," Oogway chuckled, noting Po's hat and robe. As Oogway and Po landed in a boat near the island, a new pendant exploded to life on the island, right beside the peach tree.

An enormous, muscular ox stood tall next to the peach tree, and Po- fearing it was Kai- flinched and pointed. "Oogway-!" The panda startled.

The ox's muzzle crinkled in distaste. "That is not my name, Dragon Warrior." The ox pulled the boat to shore with ease. "But I'm honored nonetheless." His voice was deep and gruff. Oogway turned to greet the newcomer.

"Yama!" The tortoise exclaimed happily, stepping out of the boat, "It's been quite a while since I've seen you, my friend!" He smiled at the large bull.

"Wait, you know this guy?" Po asked. "Well, you probably know everyone, being the founder of Kung Fu and all." He added on quickly. Po stepped out of the boat and looked up at Yama. "Hi." He said, looking sheepishly up at the giant ox. Yama had a sort of confident, no-nonsense aura about him that commanded Po's respect. Maybe it was how his horns formed a literal crown on his head.

"Greetings, Dragon Warrior. Your reputation precedes you." Yama's voice caused Po's fur to stand on end and a shiver to run down his spine. "Many people in the underworld speak of your achievements." A small smile crested Yama's face.

"Wait, the underworld? Like, Diyu?" Po's blood ran cold. "You're King Yama, ruler of the underworld!" He gasped in recognition.

"Yama is the one who decides your fate when your body passes on," Oogway spoke. "He and I write to each other whenever I get bored in the Spirit Realm." The tortoise chuckled, patting Yama on the back.

"Woah..." Po felt absolute awe fill his veins. "Wait, so do I bow to you or-?"

Yama shook his head, a smirk on his muzzle. Then, Po noticed one of Yama's hooves was tightly clutching several pendants. They looked just like the pendants that Kai had taken, but now they were a dark red as Yama held fast to them. "Wait...what are those?" Po asked. "He's not gonna try and take our chi, is he?" Po whispered hastily to Oogway.

"Oh, these?" Yama extended his hoof for Po to look at. The pendants, as red as a garnet, were shaped like a peacock, a lion, and several others. "I got these pendants after you destroyed Kai. I was able to contain their chi quickly enough that they would not escape into the Spirit Realm." The ox's voice was a deep rumble.

"Is that Shen? And Master Leo's father?" Po asked with a gulp. Yama nodded quietly, before retracting his hoof.

"I must take my leave." The ox straightened and took one last look around him at the golden scenery that was the Spirit Realm, taking in the beauty. "The Underworld is in absolute chaos, and the paperwork down there is not worth dying for." He rolled his eyes, before turning to Oogway, who was watching contently from the side. "It was good seeing you again, friend. Feel free to write." Yama then turned to Po, "Farewell, Dragon Warrior. Hopefully, I will not see you again anytime soon." The king dipped his head in respect to the panda.