Kai

.

Tai Lung

.

Tai Lung had only felt true anticipation like this twice before in his life.

The first time was almost thirty years ago when he and Leo Lung- both of them teenagers at the time- were brought forth to Oogway to be considered for the Dragon Scroll. Of course, they both didn't make the cut. The anticipation Tai had felt that morning before the harsh awakening made him giddy all the way down to his toes. He was filled with excitement.

The second time was twenty years after that fateful morning when Tai Lung made his return. That anticipation, which Tai had let stew during his time in chains, was more fueled by anger than anything else. He was filled with rage.

Tai knew he was justified in his anger, however. He did a lot of meditating and reflecting in the Spirit Realm. Other masters in the Realm, whom he would often make conversation with, would agree or at least tell him how they felt about the situation, and how they might react if they were put through the same thing he was.

The third time was now. Today. The present. This anticipation caused his heart to pound so hard and loud in his chest he thought that for a moment his torso might burst open. Before any other battle, he never felt this nervous. In fact, the confidence he felt before battles in the mortal realm or even the Spirit Realm was an adrenaline rush the leopard loved to chase. But this was different. Kai was an opponent that had only been beaten once. That loss was to Oogway, whom Kai had since conquered and now the ox carried the tortoise's chi around his neck- like some sort of sick trophy he won.

Tai didn't think it was fear in his veins. The only time he felt fear (and recognized it as fear when he first felt it) was the moment before Po exiled him to the Spirit Realm. The fear Tai had felt was real, and it made him shake like a leaf. His stomach had churned so quickly in those seconds that he might've thrown up if Po had made the decision to just let him go. His blood had run cold and he was almost paralyzed, despite Po not using any paralyzing techniques on him.

Tai didn't feel that now. He didn't feel like throwing up, but he still felt anxious. Kai didn't strike the same fear as Po had done at that moment, but Tai knew that probably wasn't the best mindset to have. Something in the leopard gave him enough confidence to not be afraid.

But still, a seed of worry was planted in his mind, and he couldn't seem to shake it. Maybe that's what he was now. He was worried.

Po had discussed the plan with Tai, and it would hopefully be simple and easy. Po would distract Kai as best he could, whether that was in battle or just doing other panda stuff Tai couldn't be bothered to think of. Tai would run up behind or beside Kai- whichever was more convenient at the moment- grab his hoof and use the Wuxi finger hold on him before the ox had any time to react. It would be over in seconds.

Tai agreed to the plan because he had no other ideas in mind.

Tigress, Klara, and all the other villagers would do their absolute best to distract as many of the Jombies as Kai threw at them. Since Kai could see through the eyes of his minions, if any of the Jombies caught sight of Tai Lung, the plan would be ruined.

Therefore, Po armed the children with firecrackers- Tai finally understood what the dumpling kicking was for now. Po told them to only light the explosives when the Jombies were near, and to kick the firecrackers near the eyes of the Jombies. Po also told everyone else to keep the Jombies in the village- away from where Tai would be stationed.

When Klara had picked up her set of firecrackers, she'd looked up at Tai nervously. Tai, waiting for Po to leave, had knelt down to her- and the other children's- level.