nightmare // gang imagine

"mom?" She leans in and brushes some hair out of my face. My eyes adjust to the light peeking through my window, and I smile. "mornin' sweetie," she speaks softly. I loved her waking me up in the mornings, she was always so gentle. I was about to sit up and hug her, when she froze. Her smile turned into a frown as she pulled her hand away from me. "mom?" I ask, "what's wrong?" She stands up and begins to leave. "mom?" I went to grab her hand, but she had quickly left the room, slamming the door behind her. I throw the covers off me and bolt for the door. I struggled to open it, shaking and twisting the doorknob, praying it'll budge. She had locked me in. "mom, why'd you leave?" All I hear is her faint laughter coming from the living room. Then I heard dad. I look through the keyhole, but all I see is an empty street. I listen for their voices once more, but only hear the sound of static coming from a radio. It reminded me of the busted radio in dads car. I had my ear to the door, giving every ounce of hope I had that she'd come back. Suddenly, I heard a long brake screech, followed by a loud crash, causing me to stumble away from the door. "mom?" I bang on the door, my fists repeatedly pounding on the hard wood. "Mom, I need you"

I wake up in a cold sweat, breathing heavy as I clench the bed sheets. I let out a tired sigh. I sit up, trying to collect my thoughts. Usually when I had nightmares I could forget them or just shrug it off. Today was different, however. It just felt so..real. I take a few deep breaths before getting out of bed to get some breakfast. I walk out of my room and bump into my oldest brother. "oh h-hey Dar, sorry" I give him a nervous smile, and head to the kitchen. I got a bowl of cereal and sat down at the dinner table. My hands were shaking quite a bit, so my spoon would often clank against the bowl. "mornin y/n, how'd ya sleep?" I drop my spoon, "oh, hey Soda, i- i slept good." I quickly finish eating and put my dishes away before taking a seat on the couch in the living room.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Darry and Ponyboy talking at the end of the hallway. I share a room with Pony, but he wasn't in there this morning when I woke up, so I didn't think anything of it. I didn't feel like watching T.V, or doing anything really, so I just sat there and fiddled with my fingers. I jumped when the front door went flying open. Steve was the first to come in, followed by the rest of the gang, minus Dallas who was on the porch lighting a cancer stick. "heya, y/n, what's hangin?" I smile and nod my head. "yep, all good, just hangin, two-bit" I continue to mess with my hands. That got the whole gang's attention, they were all staring at me. "what?" Darry and Ponyboy come back from their discussion in the hallway, and they each give me a sincere smile. I look at them awkwardly, they were acting strange.

Dallas then comes in, letting the door slam behind him. "hey, man" he takes a seat next to Johnny. Now everyone was in the living room, scattered all around the floor and furniture. I was lost in my thoughts until I heard a loud honking noise from outside. This caused me to jolt in my seat. I've been pretty sensitive to loud noises all day, thinking it had something to do with the roaring sounds in my dream. This definitely caused a few heads to turn. "Y/n, you alright?" Darry asks. "yeah man, it was just someone drivin by" Dallas says. I nod my head and look down to my hands. Darry and Pony share a look. "you sure everything's alright?" I look up to find all the boys staring me down. "I-I" I pause. "just take a deep breath, sweetie, it's alright" Darry spoke. That broke me. I almost instantly break down, covering my face with my hands. It was embarrassing, really. I was sobbing uncontrollably and they had no idea why.

By now the gang was surrounding me, trying to calm me down. I was a wreck. "darlin, whats wrong?" I didn't dare pull my hands away from my face. "was it a guy? I'll beat him up-" "no, Dal" Soda cut him off. I look up, still bawling my eyes out. "I- onl- only I-" I could barely form a sentence. "It's alright, take your time" Johnny put his hand on my leg. "I miss mom and dad so goddamn much!"  I scream. I hang my head, burying my face in my shirt. The boys looked surprised at my outburst."I- I know they've been gone for a while b-but I just-" I get choked up again and squeeze my eyes shut.

I thought it was ridiculous, tuff greasers don't cry. I felt weak. That was until I heard a few sniffles. I look up to see my brothers, Steve, Two-bit and Johnny, tears running down their face.  Then there was Dallas. He was holding his head in his hands, and I could see his body trembling. "man, we all miss em, every damn day" he lifted his head up, a tear streaming down his cheek. Everyone looked to one another. This made me feel slight happiness. In the darkest of times, I managed to find joy in it. Mom was always able to do that. I knew they would be happy to see us all together. Like a family. Ponyboy was holding his knees close to his chest, while Soda rubbed his back. "they would be proud" I say, looking to Darry then the gang, "I'm sure they are" Sodapop says, smiling.

"We're all we've got left now, if we don't have each other, we ain't got nothing"

————————-
a/n
this is a sad one..but i hope you liked it 😌
Stay Gold!
-Lexi