a good friend // Ponyboy Imagine

"Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay Gold. . ."
And with that, he was gone.

Dead.

I bite my lip, trying my best to hold back all the suppressed emotions I was feeling. Ponyboy only stared at his lifeless body, as if he was waiting for it all to just be some twisted game and Johnny would still be alive. I rub my hand on his back and he almost instantly turns to me for comfort.

He hides his face in the crook of my neck and I continue softly rubbing his back, "Pony, it's okay, it'll be okay." I look to Dallas, who was holding his head in his hands, obviously unable to accept Johnny's death.

Ponyboy holds onto my shirt tightly, squeezing his eyes shut as he continues to let out stifled sobs. I was about to say something, when Steve and Sodapop rushed into the room. They looked from Johnny to Pony, then to me, as I give them a sad smile and motion to the boy I was cradling in my arms.

"Ponyboy-" Soda pat him on the shoulder-"you alright?" I wait for a reply, only for him to shake his head and tighten his grip on me. "I don't mind staying for a while, you might wanna keep an eye on him, though" I say, looking at Dallas. 

Soda nods and stands next to Dal, "cmon, let's go to the house". He grabs his arm and pulls him out of his seat, and throws his arm over his shoulder. They each get one last look at Johnny. I wave goodbye to the boys, "we'll be there in a few" I say, nodding my head towards Ponyboy. "of course," Steve waves and they leave the room.

Suddenly, Pony gets up, his face covered in sweat and tears, and walks over to Johnny's bed. I get up along with him, ready to calm him down, "Pone-". He kicked the stool next to him and sat on the floor, "Damnit, Johnny.." I stare at the greaser, never have I seen someone so lost.

"Pony, you'll feel better if we go meet up with the gang," I approach him calmly and lean down, grabbing his hand. "there is no gang no more.. not without Johnny" his voice cracks and he tries to pull away. I let him, but only to place both of my hands on the side of his face.

"please, Pone, don't say that," he locks eyes with me, something he only did when he was feeling vulnerable. "let's go see everyone else, alright?" He was hesitant about leaving his best friend, but he slowly nodded his head. I help him up and we get our final goodbyes in before leaving the room.

As we walk out of the hospital, he intertwines his hand with mine. "thank you," he whispers. I raise my eyebrows, "for what?"  "for being there for me". I stop walking and he does the same, both of us now face to face. "I was doin' what friends do". I give him a soft smile, "you don't just stop livin' because you lose somebody".

———-
a/n
Stay Gold!