Chapter 4: Oops

Breakfast wasn't necessarily awkward, but you could definitely tell Cate's head was in a different place. You couldn't really blame her though, and you certainly understood her distracted mindset. You weren't mad at all. She needed time to process the finality of it.

After pushing around the food on her plate for a while, and making sure you were finished, she asked for the check. She gave you a sly smile as you let her pay.

You both stood up from the table and, to your surprise, she grabbed your hand. She leaned in to whisper in your ear.

"Thank you for this. I have completely ruined our date and you still haven't run away, so thank you."

DID SHE JUST SAY DATE?

After she took her lips away from your ear, you leaned into her hair to speak softly.

"Well how about a second date one night this week to make up for it. My treat."

You leaned back to see a genuine smile on her face.

"Let's get out of here," she says.

This time, she has a little more pep in her step, seemingly unafraid of the photographic mass awaiting her exit. She laced her arm into yours and you walked, almost confidently, out the door. You both kept your heads down, until you hopped into the open car door. You shifted to the right, and she followed right behind you, doing the same. After you both settled into the seat, she speaks.

"So, where are we off to now?"

"It's up to you darling! I'm off today, so my day is yours, I mean as long as we can take care of Blue throughout it," you respond.

She puts her right hand on your leg, just above your knee.

"Of course darling! Would you want to go for a walk in the park? We can pick up Blue on the way and she can go with us!"

You tell her, "I'd love that, and I'm sure Blue would too."

"It's settled then."

She tells the driver to return the car to your loft. Once you arrive outside the small place, you look at Cate on your left.

"You can come in if you like. It's kind of small and probably a me-"

She cuts you off, saying, "I'd love to."

You take the initiative this time and pull her out of the car with you. You hold her hand the entire way up the steps, only releasing it to unlock the door.

You sheepishly move off to the side and say, "Here's home."

Blue races to jump up into your arms. She licks all over your face and you bring her close to Cate. She shares a loving smile and pets Bluey on the head. You set Blue down and she becomes quickly attached at the hip to Cate.

"Bluey, you like her too, huh?!" You ask your pup.

Cate flirtatiously responds, "Well, what's not to like?"

You roll your eyes and her response, sharing a laugh.

You walk into your bedroom and start to sift through clothes. You notice that Cate followed closely behind you, sitting on the bed after entering the doorway. Bluey jumps up to lay beside her.

You settle on some leggings and a cropped red Ohio State t-shirt. You don't really feel the need to exit to the bathroom, so you just strip in your little closet area.

After changing, you come out to see Cate looking out the window and talking on her phone. You go about putting on socks and shoes, while trying to listen in on the conversation, even though you probably shouldn't.