Chapter 17: Open Up

The plane was making its descent into the city. In the small plane there weren't any seats that allowed passengers to sit next to each other, they were all singles, thus, it made it pretty hard for you to be close to Cate. You started in separate seats, your head against the window watching the clouds roll, but you weren't comfortable without her touch, even if she was just a few feet away. You moved to sit on the plane floor in front of her, leaning on the bottom of her seat between her legs. One hand finding your hair while the other occupied a phone, attempting to rearrange the coming weeks calendar. Eventually though, you ended up sitting sideways in Cate's lap. One of her arms wrapped around your lower torso, grabbing the hip opposite her, while the hand of the other rested on your thigh. Your head was in her hair, breathing in her scent. Your hands played with the rings of the fingers on your upper leg.

The two of you didn't say much throughout the duration of the flight, both recognizing the anxiousness in the air. Cate simply rubbed her hands on you, her touch calming more nerves each time.

"Thank you," you whispered into her locks, realizing you hadn't pronounced the words yet.

"There's no need to thank me, love," she responded while squeezing your leg.

"I'm sorry that I stole you away from Edi, I know she misses you these days," you continued.

"Don't worry about any of that, okay? Let's make sure your dad is fine first," she spoke.

You wanted to cry but no tears filled your eyes.

You leaned up to look into her eyes, rambling, "My dad is different. I know I hadn't mentioned him before but he can be annoying, and rude, and ignorant. And, and then there's my stepmom who's this, like, Jesus freak who throws everything on you and is super judgmental, you know even though she's not supposed to be, and I just-I just don't want them to make you feel uncomfortable. God, that's the last thing I want."

"Baby, I'm a big girl," Cate replied, smiling with her eyes.

"I know, I just...you're one of the only good things in my life right now, and I don't want to lose you. I can't lose you Cate."

Your body found the tears.

She wiped your cheek, speaking softly, "You're not going to lose me, not if I can help it."

You buried your head in her neck for a moment before standing up, as the plane had finally landed. You made yourself busy by putting on Blue's leash, as Cate grabbed your personal items.

"Ready, pretty girl?" You whispered to Blue, bending down to pet her head gently. "You're going to get to see your cousins!"

You felt Cate's hand on your shoulder, a smile crossing her face when your eyes found hers. You stood back up and sighed, unsure if you were mentally ready to get off that plane. Cate kissed your temple for reassurance.

You walked towards the exit, thanking the pilot as you passed. You stepped off the plane, seeing your bags being loaded into yet another black escalade. You had never known such luxury, smiling slightly to yourself at the sight before you.

A driver opened the back door for you and Blue jumped in, Cate and yourself following behind. You all settled in, waiting for your items to be fully loaded.

It didn't take but a few minutes before the driver was ready to go.

"Do you have an address, ma'am?" He asked, looking into the rearview mirror.

"Um, yes, sorry. We have to stop by where we are staying first to drop off the dog, and then we're going to the hospital," you spoke. "That's okay, right?"