Chapter 25: Punishment

You slowly walked down the stairs holding Cate's hand as you were about to leave for the night.

"You don't have to go," Cate whined.

"Now you're acting like Edith," you laughed, looking down at your feet.

Cate smiled to yourself, giving your hand a quick squeeze.

"I will see you for our lunch date on Thursday, okay?"

"Yes ma'am," Cate replied, your feet hitting the hardwood at the base of the stairs. "I can't believe you're going to leave me to take care of these children allllll by myself."

Her attempt at making you feel guilty was beyond adorable.

"In case you forgot, you are the one that birthed those children," you returned, playful snark lacing your tone. "Speaking of..."

The baby blonde came running towards you. You squatted down to the ground, letting your bag sit on the floor. Edith stood directly in front of you and your hands rested on her tiny frame.

"Are you weaving?" Edith asked.

"Yeah, I'm sorry little one. I have to get up really early tomorrow," you lied.

Suddenly, Edith's arms were around your neck and she was hugging you ever-so-tightly.

"You give the best hugs," you spoke softly with your chin on her shoulder and a hand rubbing up her back.

Edith pulled away, stating, "I wuv you, y/n."

Your heart melted into a puddle on that floor. You wanted to jump up and down, scream from the rooftops, but somehow, you kept your composure.

"I love you most," you affirmed, a gigantic smile gracing your face as you tapped her nose lightly before she took off towards downstairs.

You then stood to full height, seeing Dashiell headed your way from the living room, hands in his pockets.

"I can walk her out, Mom," Dash offered as he made his way to you.

Cate moved her hand to the small of your back, seemingly asking permission for Dash to do so. You nodded your head slightly and Cate kissed your temple.

"See you in a few days my love," she whispered into your ear, starting to walk away, her hand dragging across your body.

You grinned, promptly calling for Blue, who was at your side after a few short moments. You then started to stroll towards the garage door exit. Dash opened the door for the two of you, a black Escalade already running and prepared to take you to your loft.

As Dash closed the door back, he finally spoke.

"I'm sorry about my brother, that was beyond inappropriate."

You stood next to the vehicle, looking down with a tight lipped smile.

"He's had the hardest time with all of this. Don't take it personally, please. Iggy and I really like you, and well, there's Edith, of course. And, Mom...she seems happy, the happiest she's been in a long time."

Dash leaned his back against the front passenger-side door.

"She has done a complete 180 in the past month, so, whatever you're doing, you need to keep doing it."

You let out a small chuckle.

"I'm serious," he laughed with you.

You commented, "She makes me really happy too, you know."

"I'm glad," he returned softly.

A brief moment of silence fell over the two of you before Dash spoke again.