Chapter 12: The Story

You stirred awake, reaching out to your side to find an empty bed. You managed to pry your eyes open, discovering a digital clock on the bedside table that read '8:17 a.m.' You sat up slowly and rested one hand behind you while rubbing your eyes with the other. A soft smile grew on your face when the idea that you were waking up in Cate Blanchett's bed jumped into your head.

You quite literally threw yourself back on to the soft pillows and sheets. Your smile grew to show teeth and you pulled a pillow over your head, taking in Cate's sweet scent. It was absolutely intoxicating, so much to the point that you would have probably been okay with suffocating in that scent. But, you didn't. And after a few moments, you brought the pillow to rest on your stomach.

You whispered to yourself with a slight chuckle, "What is my life?"

You sat there taking in all of what has happened in the past week that you and Cate have spent together. Your attitude and demeanor towards life doing a complete 360 as soon as Cate walked into the hotel bar that night.  It was as if a switch was turned on, everything in your head seemingly falling in to place at one time, and you definitely weren't complaining. You weren't sure if you believed in God, but you were certainly thanking the heavens for whatever brought you two together.

After a minute of reflection, you climbed out of the white sheets, eager to see your favorite blonde. You nearly skipped down the stairs. When you got down the first flight, you heard Cate speaking on the phone and you slowed your pace.

She was sitting at the dining room table. Her legs were crossed, one arm bent under her bust while the other held her phone to her ear. A cup of coffee sat in front her.

She smiled when the noticed your presence, but something seemed off. It's not that it didn't seem genuine, more it wasn't as lively or bright as what it was yesterday.

When you got to the base of the stairs, Cate pointed to the counter. You followed her hand movement to see a plate of breakfast food. You looked back in to her eyes and she softly winked.

You made your way to the plate, seeing that Cate cooked you over easy eggs with some sausage links and breakfast potatoes. God, she knew the way to your heart.

You quietly picked up the plate and sat down in the chair nearest Cate at the table. Almost immediately, she scooted your chair closer to hers by grabbing a small post that ran between two of the legs. Once closer in proximity, her hand to found its way to your thigh rather quickly. You smiled for the fact that it was obvious she missed your touch too.

You kissed her cheek, not wanting to disturb her conversation, although she seemed to do more listening than talking. When she looked into your eyes, you could tell that previous suspicions were correct. Something was off in those crystal blues of hers.

You began to eat your breakfast as she softly guided the tips of her fingers over your upper thigh, her actions causing welcomed goose bumps. You sat back a little in your chair as you ate, allowing your free hand to stretch to the back of Cate's head, and your own fingers running through her velvet locks.

You were almost finished with your breakfast when Cate concluded her call. She opened her body up to you as she turned slightly in your direction on her chair

"Hi," she said softly.

You repeated the same word back to her, "Hi."

She picked up her coffee and took a sip before continuing.

"How'd you sleep?" She asked.

A response to the question was not hard to find.

"Good. You know, having a beautiful, blonde Aussie to cuddle up with makes it a lot easier," you said, taking a bite of your potatoes, while maintaining eye contact.