Chapter 43: Strawberries

It was the day before Valentine's Day, and you were at the florist with Cate and Dashiell, attempting to help him pick out the perfect bouquet for the first romantic holiday with his girlfriend. The three of you were strolling through the little shop, trying to ignore the incessant paparazzi taking pictures through the windows. In one hand you held Cate's, the other a cup of hot chocolate. "Those are pretty," you complimented quietly, releasing from Cate's grasp momentarily to point.

"Not as pretty as you," Cate flirted poorly.

Dash, walking a couple feet ahead, turned to say, "That was cheesy, Mom."

"Mmm, I liked it," you affirmed, a small blush growing on your face. Cate placed a gentle kiss on your temple, the act earning 100 flashes from the mass outside.

You continued walking for another moment, Dash speaking up as a particular grouping of flowers got his attention. "What about these?"

"They're gorgeous, bud," Cate said, removing her hand from yours to place it on his lower back and leaning over his shoulder to gain a better view of the bunch. You came to his other side as he picked the flowers up, a large and colorful arrangement of roses, rosemary, eucalyptus and other foliage. 

Dashiell shyly went on to ask, "Do you think she'll like them?"

"I think she will like anything that's coming from you, kiddo," you replied with a meek smile, peering between his eyes and the bouquet in his hand.

He looked down, studying them for an extended moment, "I'm going to get these."

"Okay," Cate replied with a grin, waving over an employee.

As Cate talked to the woman and requested that the flowers be wrapped, you continued on, taking in all of the wonderful sights and smells. You watched out of the corner of your eye as most of the cameras followed Cate to the register, while only one or two remained focused on you. You groaned internally at their presence.

While checking out with Dashiell, Cate glanced over her shoulder to see where you were, finding you closely observing one particular bunch of flowers.

"We will take those, too," she spoke with a head nod, in reference to the array of sunflowers and roses you were taking to. "I'll pay for them now, but have them delivered in the morning if it's feasible."

"Of course, Ms. Blanchett," the worker delightfully replied. "Would you like to write anything on the card for the delivery?"

Cate looked back over her shoulder, seeing that you were still preoccupied. "Yes, please."

                Happy Valentine's Day pretty girl!
                I'm so lucky to have you in my life.
         Here's to the rest of it with you by my side.
                                      I love you.
                                         Cate