Special Chapter: Happiness

There are only a few fond memories that Jungkook shared with his father that he can remember. His father was a kind man, always quiet and mysterious in a way. He understands how difficult it must have been for his father to raise him on his own. New to fatherhood, and being out of a pack and alone in the dangerous wild. Jungkook had gotten used to growing up with the roughness of being a rogue wolf. His fathers own scent was not enough to ever keep him calm as a pup. He needed the warm nurturing scent of an omega around him. And yet, his father always tried to fill in the gaps of what was missing in his life. And their bond kept getting stronger as the years went by.

Jungkook remembers the made up lullabies his father always attempted to sing for him as a child. It would halt his crying, eyes becoming wide in confusion when the words his father was singing would make no sense. And he couldn't forget how tight his father had hugged him during the cold winter nights. Always wrapping him in thick furs to keep him as warm as possible. There were a lot of memories during the winter season that he held dear to him. During his tenth year, his father had carried him on his shoulders as they walked through the trees while the snow fell around them. He still remembers trying to catch the falling snowflakes with his mouth, humming when they would melt in his mouth. His father would always smile up at him while he walked through the thick blankets of snow.

Despite how harsh the winter season was, Jungkook always felt so warm. And yet, that little happiness he had felt with his father had been taken away. He was just past his fourteenth summer when everything changed, when he found himself completely alone for the first time. Jungkook was trying to catch tadpoles by the river bank. His father was cleaning a few fish they had caught earlier that afternoon. The day had been hot, and yet the slight breeze in the air was enough to keep him fresh. Jungkook had laughed so much that day, and for the first time, his father had lost his worrisome expression to mirror his own exciting one. The sight of his father laughing while splashing him with water was something he would never forget. They played along the river for a few hours, until he started feeling hungry and asked his father for food.

His father agreed, settling down by the water with a small knife to prepare the fish they would share for dinner. Jungkook returned to trying to catch tadpoles, eyes sharp as he followed the small animals swimming along. While he stared down at his cupped hands full of water, a small tadpole swimming around his pal, the air seemed to change around him in an instant. His father had called his name, voice thick with fear. When he turned around to face his father, he saw the wolves emerging from the trees around them. His father didn't bother to look at the threatening wolves around him, he was only watching him with careful eyes. And then everything happened so fast. His father shifted as he sprang towards him with a threatening growl to the wolves that had lunged towards them. He didn't think twice about hurling himself over his fathers back, hands gripping tightly at his fur to keep from falling off. The wolves chased after them through the forest, hot on their trail in an attempt to catch them.

He always knew his father was smart, and with ease he was able to put some distance between them. The sun was beginning to set when his father ran through a hidden creek that even he himself had never seen. When he was old enough to comprehend, his father had told him that there would come a time when their lives would be in danger. He didn't understand the circumstances, but he trusted his father when he told him he would protect him with his life. Jungkook willed himself not to cry when his father scented along his cheek, eyes full of so many different emotions for the first time. And yet, Jungkook knew that he was trying to convey to him that he loved him dearly. His father whimpered lowly, nosing along his cheek one last time before he turned away. And Jungkook watched his father leave, his only family disappearing through the trees. He had waited days in that creek for his father to come back, and each day that passed seemed like an eternity.

He stayed in that area for a full year in hopes that one day he would see his father come back for him. But it wasn't long before he began to accept the possibilities that his father was probably dead. And every season after that was cold and lonely. The winters were eternal now, and the snow had come to bother him.

But now, as he watched the snow fall around him, he felt that familiar warmth from his past. Jimin giggled beside him, watching their pups try to run along the snow. Their feet were too small, making it hard for them to run through the thick layers of snow that had settled overnight. A small smile sprung on his face as he watched his pup Sungjoon give up on walking and resort to crawling, eyes full of wonder as he stared at the snow beneath his small hands. Watching his family around him made him think that his father would have been happy to know that he was no longer alone. That he had found his place amongst a pack, and had found a loving mate who he could share his future with. A part of him wishes that his father was still alive to see him. To meet his grandchildren and see that his life was now full of irreplaceable happiness.

"Kook, what's wrong?"

Jungkook snapped out of his thoughts, turning to meet Jimin's confused gaze. He shook his head and couldn't help from pulling his mate into his arms to hug him tight. Jimin didn't question him, instead letting out a small giggle when the small pup in his arms whined. Jungkook pulled away, sprouting a wide smile as he took the youngest of his pups in his arms. Dami let out an exciting laugh when he lifted her up in the air. Jimin picked up Sungjoon, securing his scarf around his neck to keep him warm. Jungkook took a seat on the snow, pulling Minjoon to sit on his lap. He showed him to eat the falling snow, just like his own father had done. And he understood then that his father had been happy during their time together. He could understand his worries and concerns now that he was a father himself. His father may not have shown how happy he was, but he was sure that he was full of happiness. Now he was excited for winter, and coming seasons that he would get to share with his family. Jimin sat beside him, a soft expression on his face full of love and endearment. Jungkook leaned towards him, dropping a small kiss on his mate's cheek.

"You and our pups are my happiness."

Just like I was my fathers happiness.