Christmas At Malfoy Manor

Draco had always been the first one awake on Christmas morning — save for the house elves, of course. It was not like he meant to wake up hours before the sun even rose, it just happened, every year without fail. When he was younger this was a major problem, small Draco did not understand how much his parents valued their sleep so he would bounce on the end of their bed until they were forced to get up, even Narcissa (an understanding woman) would be put in a sour mood for the rest of the day. Ultimately ruining the Christmas experience Draco always craved.

Jamie, at age eight, realized the severity of the situation and on Christmas eve he would curl up in bed with the small blond and when Draco woke in the early hours of the morning, Jamie would read to the boy until it was a more appropriate time for Narcissa and Lucius to be woken up. This stopped when Draco turned eleven and claimed that 'he was no longer a child that needed to be babied'.

But still that did not stop Draco from sneaking out of his room and into Jamie's on Christmas morning. His bare feet freezing as he tiptoed across the polished wood. It was quiet, like every Christmas morning, nothing could be heard save for Jamie's soft breaths. A chill settled in Draco's bones as a gust of wind blew in through the open windows, the curtains flapping soundlessly.

With a huff Draco closed the window and glanced at Jamie's sleeping form. The boy never looked peaceful, not even in his sleep, his lips were always pulled into a deep frown when he slept, and his eyebrows were scrunched like he was in deep thought. He was curled up, clutching the blankets to himself, his hair was tied back by the black elastic band Madam Pomfrey had given him. Draco made his way over and softly climbed into the bed, stealing some of the blankets because some idiot left their window open, and as in act of mischief he placed his freezing feet against the other boy's leg, snickering when Jamie jumped and untangled himself from the blankets. He moved too far and slipped off the bed, landing on the ground with a crash and an oof.

Jamie, with wide eyes, popped his head over the edge of the bed, gaping at the snickering boy.

"You — you should've — should've seen your face — it — it wa-was — brilliant!"

Jamie glared at the boy before snatching up a pillow and smacking the boy in the face.

Draco stopped laughing.

"You asked for this." Draco warned, pointing a spider like finger in Jamie's direction before he grabbed a pillow and launching it over his head. The elder boy managed to duck as the pillow smacked against the wall full force.

"My wall never did anything to you, thank you very much." Jamie said.

Draco shrugged. "It was not my original target, but close enough."

Jamie fell onto his bed and Draco fell next to him.

"Why did you leave your window open?"

Jamie glanced at the now closed window and sprang up, he made his way over and opened it fastly, a shiver running down his spine as the wintry air made its way in. He leaned against the seal and exhaled, watching as his breath became visible in white wisps before they danced away. His bedbedroom always had a nice view, one that was absolutely breathtaking during winter. The garden was covered in thick untouched snow, it sparkled in the faint blue light coming from lanterns; the green house was emitting a soft glow, shimmering under a layer of frost; hedges, trees, and  stone statues were nothing but indistinguishable lumps; the lake past the iron gates looked dark and ominous.

"Hermione and Weasley are sending their gifts via owl. Lucius can't know, obviously, so the window is staying open till their owls arrive."

Draco rolled his eyes but did not argue. "You care for them. Don't you?"