Listening

Exams — Jamie's second most hated thing at Hogwarts (rightfully behind Marcus Flint, of course). He studied for a month straight, worrying and losing sleep. He was not the only one, everyone was on edge. Draco, Theodore, and Pansy could be seen curled up together on one of the emerald couches in the Slytherin Common room, reading over certain books and exchanging notes, if anyone tried to disturb them Theodore would try to bite them; Blaise was 'tutoring' Vincent and Gregory, he didn't seem all that worried though, in fact he looked like he already knew he was going to pass. Vincent and Gregory looked quite the opposite from Blaise; Adrain Pucey would lay on his stomach by the glass wall, rereading some paragraphs he highlighted; Daphne Greengrass laid upside down in the loveseat, twiddling her thumbs as she read over notes she borrowed from some Hufflepuff.

He hardly got to see his Gryffindor friends and when he did, their moments were filled with silence save for the sound of pages turning. Hermione looked pale, the bags under her eyes looked big enough to hold Hogwarts A. History. Her hair was always pulled back into a bun because if she didn't it would be sticking in every direction, as if she was struck by lightning.

Harry was constantly shifting between his books and Hermione's notes, his eyebrows scrunched together as he tried to make sense of it all. When he understood something he'd gasp under his breath and smile as he transferred a piece of information onto his own set of notes.

Even Ron was taking the exams seriously. He'd curl his long limbs so he would fit his whole self into the too small library seat and balance his books between his knees and chest. He would let out a huff of irritation everytime he had to turn the page, though, Hermione glared at him when he accidentally ripped part of a page. When Ron would get bored he'd write a note, crumble the paper, then launched it at Jamie. Although Jamie was too invested in his studies to pay him much mind.

Neville, Dean, and Seamus joined them a handful of times. Even Lavender, and Parvati sat at their table once. Neville was poring over transfiguration spells, sweating a bit, too. Dean and Seamus always read from the same book, whenever one saw something important they would point it out to the other. Lavender was almost as serious as Hermione, except every little sound did not bother her. Parvati seemed confident as she went over her class notes.

When Exams finally passed Jamie could've cried in relief then slept for days. Except he couldn't celebrate, even when he thought he passed them all with flying colors.

"Hagrid lost the appeal."

That one sentence sent his light mood into a dark spiral. Hermione handed him the note Hagrid had sent her.

Lost appeal. They're going to execute at sunset. Nothing you can do.
Don't come down.
I don't want you to see it.
Hagrid

"No." Jamie argued. "There has to be something we can do."

"We're going to go and see him after dinner. To be there with him. It's the least we can do." Ron said, shifting on his feet. "You should come with us."

Jamie pressed his lips in a tight line as he thought it over. He ended up shaking his head, his heart almost broke when Ron's eyes filled with sadness.

"Going there, to be with him, is a sign of defeat, of acceptance. I will not accept Buckbeak's death. I'll go and get Draco, maybe he can stop this." He was quick to explain, he hated how disappointed Ron looked when he rejected him.

"He won't listen." Hermione said sadly.

"He's a good kid." Jamie promised. "A little lost and a lot misguided. . . But still good. I believe in him."

Jamie had found Draco in the common room.