CHAPTER 35: YOU MAKE ME

Things went back to normal, well as normal as they could be and the two no longer had issues. Even if they did, they didn't spend too much time on them since it was now two weeks before the summer ended and more so than that, it was one week to Lan Zhan's birthday. Yes sir, it was that time of the year when the golden boy celebrated being 365 days older and it was the first birthday he would be spending with someone improtant to him. Wuxian had honestly been more excited for the day to come than Lan Zhan because the fact that he was turning 16 somehow made his day. Actually, most people didn't know this but Wuxian was the oldest between the two. It didn't add up but the truth of the matter was that Wuxian was two years older and his birthday was late in December so in a few months he would officially turn 18 and into an adult. A lot of people mistook Lan Zhan to be older given his personality but he was the baby of the relationship even though most of the times that title went to Wuxian.

     However, that was not all, since this was the first family birthday of the year since her marriage, Mrs Lan had decided to throw a grand party for Lan Zhan. He had tried to stop her but she insisted terribly. It also didn't help that his brother supported the idea. They literally forced him to accept and go along with it and there was little to nothing he could do. Honestly, it was just weird for him because usually his birthday consisted of him and his brother having a day out, watching a movie and then dinner. Nothing fancy, no parties, no gifts and definitely no remembrance from their father. Lan Qiren had stopped the whole birthday shenanigans after Lan Zhan had turned 10 and that had been the end of the story. There was no need to celebrate a day of the year of one being closer to death when there were better things to do. Anyways, the point of the matter was that Lan Zhan was having a party whether he liked it or not and that was that.

    Eventually, the day arrived and Lan Zhan felt tired way  before the day even started. He groaned when he heard his front door get knocked on and knew it was his step-mother's house staff sent to get him. Apparently, she had arranged Chinese and Western routines and his first step was that he would be carried in a prince's carriage from his place to hers where the party was bing held. They would have breakfast together without his father ofcourse then begin to prepare for the party. It would start at around 3 till late evening. A look of worry and horror came over him as he opened the door to the sight of the overly decorated carriage.

     Roses of red had been placed all over with Chinese wish flags and banners hanging off the sides. His eyes were attacked from every angle and the more he looked at it, the more the urge to retreat was, not to mention vomit. This was over the top already.

     "Young Master, if you would please," one of the servants said addressing him. Lan Zhan turned to look at her and immediately took a step back. The lady was holding a red, velvet, King's robe that were usually worn by royalty. He began to immediately shake his head as he stared at the 5 metre long garment unable to move. A minute passed before Lan Zhan realised that he was stalling and wasting everyone's time. He wanted to respond truly, but the sheer thought...... it made him feel embarrassed. Nevertheless, he gathered inner strength and turned so that the robe was placed over him. The fabric was smooth to the skin but weighed a ton and he shook on his feet. As soon as it was on, the staff helped him into the carriage, holding the robe up so that no dirt would get onto it. They swayed left and right with it's unbalanced weight and Lan Zhan couldn't believe how ridiculous this was.

       Getting into the car proved to be another challenge. The door was only big enough for Lan Zhan but with the robe on, his shoulder and back breadth had increased and now he was having a one man tug of war with metal and wood not to mention having the staff as witnesses to this ordeal. By the time he got in with all his baggage, he was more than fed up. 'How much worse could this possibly get?' he questioned his face red from all the exertion. His answer wasn't far when he caught a glimpse of the glittering crown ahead of him.