First lesson

Karlof sleepily opened his eye and looked around to see Gravis and the others changing into their gi's.

"I was about to wake you up!" Gravis laughed. "Breakfast should be done soon! And some letter from our parents will come!"

When he heard that Karlof jolted awake, tore off his pajamas, and put on his gi as fast as possible. Hearing from his uncle and moms was something he knew was going to help him get through the year. 

As they all rushed down to the dining hall they could see that the table was full of breakfasts from around the world. 

Karlof quickly grabbed some rice and salmon to start with and after ten minutes of eating, a bunch of owls flew in and dropped letters in front of them. Karlof looked at the two letters he got. One from his uncle and one from his moms. 

Hey son! I know it's your first day at the academy so Emiyo and I just wanted to check if you were alright! Iroh promised he would send you this letter so you'd get it in time! We both love you so much and miss you a lot! We hope that you're already making a bunch of friends and despite it being school, having a bunch of fun!
-mom

Hey son! This is your mum writing this text, you know that the school will send us your grades after you come home for the summer right? SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Love you! 
-mum

Karlof laughed a little at what his mum wrote, but he didn't want to make her angry so... hopefully, he wouldn't get a low grade in anything,

Hello Karlof! Your sister and I just wanted to wish you good luck on your first day! Are you taking good care of your egg? Your sister misses you a lot even though she's only known you for a few weeks... but you'll write back to us, right? Also, I know your parents care about your grades! And I do too! So you better do your homework young man! Love you! 
-Your uncle, Iroh

"Oh great..." Karlof mumbled. "Now I have three people who'll yell at me if I get low grades!"

"Why must mom ask about the snake?!" Gravis groaned. "Hey Karlof, do you know where we can find papers so we can write back to them?" 

"No..." he sighed. "I want to write back to my families too!"

"We won't have time for that now!" Bolobo muttered and looked at the clock. "We need to finish our food quickly and get to our first class!" 

Karlof quickly finished the rest of his rice and grabbed his bag as he and the others headed up to class. 

"Good morning everyone!" Ace smiled as the student sat down. "Please open your books and flip to page five-hundred sixty-three!" 

Karlof opened the page he said and frowned confused. Weren't they going to start at the book on the first page?

"So as you can see! Long ago before machines were invented people relayed on us elemental masters to solve most of the problems that occurred. Water and ice masters took care of big fires while metal and fire masters crafted weapons, iron tools, and other necessities that required their skill! Nature masters were and still are the ones balancing the ecosystem and human activity!"

Even though part of what Ace said was interesting Karlof felt his eyelids slowly falling before someone raised their hand. 

"Mr. Fletcher, do we elemental master still all do this stuff?" 

"Well, Mr. Pathis, although both we and the people who live in the non elemental world have developed systems to protect us from fire, in emergencies water and ice masters are still called in! As for making metal tools and weapons, many things are still created by fire and metal masters, as their work usually lasts longer! Those poor none elementals missing out..."

Karkof looked through the page and started reading about the different types of tools metal masters made and thought about maybe considering working with that...

"Now Mr. Artino!" Ace coughed. "You're only eleven! There's plenty of time to choose a career!"

Karlof looked up a bit embarrassed and nodded. "Now for the rest of the lesson, you'll read the pages five-hundred sixty-three to five-hundred eighty! Take notes! I want to have a full scroll of it next week! You can of course continue with it between classes! But I recommend working on it during the lessons, as I'm sure the other teachers will give you things to work on as well! I think you'll have time to finish it in two one-hour lessons!" 

"And here I hoped the first year would be easy!" Gravis whispered to Karlof as Ace gave them all an empty scroll to write on.  

Karlof groaned and started writing things down on his scroll. It was longer than he thought but he'd still filled the scroll like... thirty percent... 

"Now class! You got two hours free before lunch! If you really want to try to finish the scroll already you can do that! But do it in your dorm room!" 

They all nodded and left the classroom. 

"You're going to finish the scroll?" Karlof asked. 

"Hell Nah! If we have lessons to finish it on I'm not wasting away my free time!" 

"How much of the scroll did you manage to finish?" 

"Like.... forty percent...."

"Oh... perhaps I should continue working a little! I don't wanna get in trouble for not turning in homework in time the first thing I do!" 

Karlof quickly ran up to the dorm room, sat down at one of the tables, and kept working on his scroll. 

When one hour was left before lunch he'd finish eighty percent of it and though he thought about trying to finish the whole scroll immediately he decided his brain needed to rest and considered taking a short nap before lunch. 

"Hey Gravis?" 

"Hey, Karlof! Huh! You're almost done with your scroll!" 

"Yeah!" Karlof yawned. "I'll wait until the next lesson! I'll finish it then! Now I wanna sleep! Will you wake me up when it's time for lunch?"

"Hmm... Oh, I know!" Gravis smirked and used his powers to lift up two books, one of which he levitated over Karlof's head and the other one he put on the table. 

"You go take a nap on the couches! I'll sit here and read and when it's time for lunch, if I forget about you I'll still use my powers but stop when it's time for lunch! That way, the book will still land on your head waking you up!"

Karlof felt a little unsure about the plan but if it meant he could sleep without risking missing a meal... it was worth it!

He casually laid down on the couch and closed his eyes. 

And after sleeping for a while, he was woken up by something hard hitting his head.