Gifts

"So... what did your uncle respond?" Gravis asked as they walked out of Ace's classroom. 

"I haven't gotten another letter from him yet!" Karlof sighed. "Still don't know if it was a good idea to tell him!" 

"Well if it worries you it was probably for the better!" Bolobo smiled, putting his hand on Karlof's shoulder. 

Karlof smiled back at his friend and they went down to the main hall for dinner. 

"Hey, Bolobo... quick question..."  Turner frowned. "Your dragon... why do you call her Blossom? Didn't you name her Moss first?" 

"Oh.. that... yeah I wasn't sure what to name her and I really liked the name Moss... but I missed our teacher telling us how we tell their gender and when I found out she was a female... I changed her name to Blossom!"

"I think she's very pretty!" Karlof said nervously. Not really knowing how to give compliments without hinting at his... feelings...

"So... what do we do after dinner?"

"We have a test for Ace next week... we should study for that! And check on our current herbology project... and if there's any time left we could practice some stances!" Gravis groaned and started eating. 

"Yeah... I really hope I get a better grade in Astronomy this year!" 

"Hey! At least you didn't get a T!" 

"Whatever..." 

After dinner, they made it down to the library again and studied for a while before going up to their dorm. 

"Karlof! You got a letter from your uncle!" Bolobo exclaimed pointing at his pillow. 

Karlof picked it up and carefully ripped it open. 

Hi Karlof

What you're saying concerns me, but I agree with what your teacher says! As far as you don't see anything else, you shouldn't worry too much! I don't want your old trauma to sabotage your time at the academy! Talk with your sister about this too! And if you change your mind about staying at the academy until the end of the year, I'll make sure to be able to pick you up! Love you!

-Your uncle

"So what did he say?"

"Basically the same thing as Lilly!" Karlof sighed. "And that I should talk more with my sister about it!"

"That's good! Still want to go to our herbology classroom with us?" 

"Yeah, I'm fine! Let's go!"

Once they were done checking Karlof couldn't handle more information and collapsed straight onto his bed. 

"KARLOF WAKE UP!" 

"Turneeer! I just fell asleep!" 

"I know but you have an owl and a package on your desk!" 

"I-what?!" 

Karlof sat up and saw an owl looking at him while sitting on a package placed on his desk. 

"What are you doing here?!" 

He gently removed the paper attached to the package and read it.

Hi son

Your uncle told us what happened at the academy and all though we are worried we wouldn't want you to miss half a school year! We just wanted to send you some of your favorite cookies just so you know that we haven't forgotten about you! Tell us if you have anything heavy on your chest or... just want to tell us something!

Love, mom, and mum

Karlof smiled and ripped off the paper. 

"No fair! Your parents sent you cookies?!" Gravis pouted. 

"Yeah! Wanna try one?" 

Gravis, and Bolobo grabbed one cookie each and Karlof happily started eating the rest. 

"Woaw! These are SOOO good!" Bolobo exclaimed. 

"Yeah!" Karlof answered. "Mom's baking is the best!" 

"Have you told them about your hands like you did your uncle?"

Karlof almost choked on his cookie. 

"N-no... but they know about Clutch's death!" 

"Uhm... yeah! They sent the message to every single parent!"

Karlof sighed and kept eating his cookies. He loved his moms very much and it felt wrong to keep it from them. But they were already worried about him and though they said in the letter that they wanted him to have a good time. He didn't want to give them a reason for him not to stay at the academy. Though when they wrote that Iroh had told them about what happened at the academy it could've been about his hands too. 

"I just... I really want to stay here! I... I can be myself here!" 

"And you couldn't at home?" 

Karlof shook his head sadly. "I didn't have any friends and the other kids made fun of me because of my hands!"

"Just because of the burns?" Gravis frowned. 

"Yeah..." he sighed. "My moms tried to make me feel better by saying they were cool... it didn't really help but... here at the academy n one's judging me and I get to be around people who understand me and that are my age! You guys are the first friends I've ever had!" 

All Bolobo and Gravis looked at Karlof a bit uncomfortable before wrapping him into a hug.

"You're an amazing friend Karlof!" Bolobo smiled. "And I don't think you're weird at all!"

Karlof felt his face lightly heating up at Bolobo hugging him. 

"T-thanks! You're an amazing friend too!" 

"I'm here too you know!" Gravis laughed. 

"I know I know! I love all of you! Turner too even though he's an annoying little brat sometimes!" 

"You're telling me! I have to live with him!" 

Karlof leaned over on Bolobo's shoulder and felt his eyes falling shut. 

"Karlof! Are you falling asleep?" 

"Mmm? O-oh yeah! I should probably go change!" Karlof blushed, jolting up. 

As he changed into his pajamas he looked over to see Bolobo's cheeks turning a bit red. 

"U-uhm... what about you two?" 

"I'm pretty awake after your mothers' cookies!" Gravis smiled. "But I think I'll be fine!" 

Karlof chuckled and covered himself up. 

"I'm going to bed too!" Bolobo yawned. "Seeing Karlof almost falling asleep on me made me sleepy too!" 

"I'll stay up and study for a little longer!" 

"Yeah yeah..." Karlof mumbled and closed his eyes. Slowly drifting off.