Happy Appa Day

Ri Jeong Hyeok bit back a smile as he heard whispers and light footsteps behind the closed door. He didn't open his eyes, he didn't move, until he couldn't hear anything.

They were now in the kitchen. Part of him wanted to get up, to make sure that they wouldn't get hurt, but he knew Seri had secured things for them last evening, it would ruin the surprise, and they would be disappointed. So he stayed still, ears on the lookout for the slightest suspicious noise, ready to jump out of bed if necessary.

The sun was barely up, the sky took on a light golden tint, and he knew it was way too early for a Sunday morning, but the warm feeling of fullness he felt at that moment was worth it.

He slowly opened his eyes, and his heart skipped a beat, like every time he looked at her. Years ago, he had thought it was because she bothered him, at least he had wanted to think so.

Now he knew better.

She was still asleep, her lips slightly parted, her eyelashes fluttering on her cheek, her dark hair scattered around, on the pillow, her face, her shoulder. He gazed at her in silence, his eyes tracing the curve of her cheek, the shadow cast by her nose, mesmerized by the steady rhythm of her breathing.

Sometimes he was afraid it was all a mirage. Even years later, even with a family of their own, that fear of seeing her evaporate into thin air, like an early morning dream, never really went away. Then, with his fingertips, delicately, he parted a few strands of hair, pushing them behind her shoulder, and unconsciously sliding closer, until he could smell her shampoo, her floral scent and the smell that was only hers.

She was real, she wasn't a mirage, and she was awake. Her eyes blinked sleepily at him... Before she groaned and buried her face in her pillow. He chuckled.

"Good morning my love.."

"Mmmmhorning..."

He slided closer again, putting his arm on her waist, and kissed softly her hair. They heard a noise coming from the kitchen, followed by angry whispers.

"What time is it?" she mumbled.

"6am..."

She raised her head, blinking at him. Then her sleepy eyes widened slightly and she embraced him, snuggling against him, one leg over his. He laughed, trying to push the covers away to relieve the heat of June.

"Seri, what are you doing, you're too hot..."

"I know, you should see me when I'm dressed up..." she mumbled against his skin.

He chuckled and kept her against him while she kissed his neck softly, one hand on his bare chest.

"Happy Father's day, Ri Jeong Hyeokssi..."

With a smile, he kissed her forehead and crushed her against him, his eyes lingering on the wall where there was a picture of her, pregnant. He could remember every single time she announced he was going to be a father, he could remember the disbelief, the utter joy, the fierce rush of protectiveness and possessiveness. Never in his whole life before meeting her, he would have imagined being a father. But with her, he had wanted everything, marriage, children, growing old. It was no longer a duty, it had become a dream.

She wasn't a mirage, but she was a miracle.

"Thank you for making me a father..." he whispered, not trusting his voice as a lump of emotion invaded his throat. She looked at him with a fondness that made his heart flutter.

"And thank you for being such an amazing father to our girls, they are so lucky to have you... We are so lucky to have you..."

She kissed him tenderly, her lips caressing his slowly, and she pulled back slightly.