Happy Birthday Yoon Seri

Seri gazed at the snow-covered landscapes passing by the window of the taxi that took her from the airport where she had landed an hour earlier, to their cabin, nestled on the shores of Lake Lungern. 

She had spent a few days in Seoul, drowning her anxiety in work and family meals, which never failed to distract her with the adventures of her brother and sister-in-law. Their new fad, to dress in the same color. Everyday, everywhere. Her brother had accused her of making fun of them when she had choked on the sip of wine she was drinking, but honestly, it was ridiculous, cute when a young couple was starting a relationship, but certainly ridiculous when it came to an older couple who have been married for years. But at least, they had made her smile. 

She should have been used to separations. For years, they had not seen each other, then only 2 weeks a year. They were living together now, but she didn't take anything for granted. He was still North Korean, and therefore still subject to the goodwill of the leaders. Even if his father had made sure he was safe and free, neither Ri Jeong Hyeok nor her dared to think that nothing could happen. 

The unexpected was always possible. 

Like this improvised concert for senior officers on the occasion of the Lunar New Year. To which he was of course invited. An invitation of course impossible to decline. He had assured her that everything would be fine, telling her to leave for Seoul to see her family, to spend the New Year with them. It reassured him to know that she wouldn't be alone, but it was with heavy hearts that they had parted ways at the airport, each going to their gate. 

She hated every second away from him, but had to accept it as a part of her life. She was also scheduled to spend her birthday in Seoul, as Ri Jeong Hyeok did not know how long he would be held in Pyongyang, but at the last moment, she had advanced her plane ticket. Her mother had hugged her, assuring her that she understood, and a few hours later Seri was in Switzerland.

She drew a heart on the mist of the window and sighed. 

"Happy Birthday to me..." 

She needed to be at home, surrounded by their belongings, by his belongings. His shoes next to hers. His toothbrush with hers. His clothes in their closet. His smell everywhere, in every room, in their bedroom, in their sheets. 

As the taxi drove away, she scrambled up the steps with her suitcase, noting in passing that she should thank their kind neighbor for clearing the steps of snow while they were gone. As the door closed behind her, she dropped her suitcase and let herself be enveloped in the gentle warmth of their home. 

Everything was there. Except him. 

She took off her shoes and walked in almost sacred silence. The music magazine he was reading was on the coffee table, a photo of them serving as his bookmark. Their favorite plaid neatly folded into a corner. The smell of coffee, scented candle and aftershave mingling deliciously. 

Seri almost automatically walked to their bedroom and sat on his side of the bed, grabbing his pillow to sniff it, her eyes closed. Their home reminded her that all of this was real. They had found each other, they were living together, and everything would be fine. She grabbed her dressing gown and put it on, tightening the belt around her waist and folding in the sleeves that were far too long for her. She was thus enveloped by him and felt comforted. It wasn't that she paid any particular attention to her birthday, but if she had to, then she wished she could hug him.

A noise caught her attention and she immediately straightened up on her legs, her senses alert. No one was supposed to come. Ri Jeong Hyeok was in Pyongyang, their neighbors would never come in like this, and no one else knew where they lived.