Stars

My entry for #cloytober 2021, check the # on Twitter to have amazing CLOY stories, arts and videos.

Stay safe and enjoy ❤️

******

Ri Jeong Hyeok rarely drank alcohol. A little bit of soju every now and then, enough to feel lighter and to have a gentle warmth spreading from his stomach to each extremity of his body, but never too much. He didn't like losing control, the force of habit after years of holding back from living, navigating in some kind of haze, free from joy but also from any kind of disappointment. 

There was only one exception, someone who had made him get out of that haze, making him eventually opening his soul to the most overwhelming joys and the most agonizing pains, the deepest fears and the most comforting faith. 

And this person was now giggling beside him, sitting on one of the wicker chairs that adorned the terrace of their chalet. 

A glass of wine on the edge of her lips, she was laughing at what he had told her about his day at the University, and he couldn't take his eyes off her, hypnotized by the rosy tint of her cheeks, her intoxicating eye smile, and the inimitable melody of her laughter.

She was already tipsy, and he smiled as she leaned over him to whisper with a seductive glint in her eyes.

"You are so funny, Ri Jeong Hyeok sshi ..." 

No one had ever called him funny, but yet Seri always laughed heartily at his stories, and his attempted jokes. He didn't need to be funny to anyone but her, and he was more than happy to be a source of laughter for her. 

"I think I should stop drinking if I don't want to miss the stars…" she said, taking another sip of the wine, though. 

A light breeze swept her hair back, baring the back of her neck, and Ri Jeong Hyeok had to refrain from leaning over to kiss it and inhale her scent and warmth. 

He had promised her a meteor shower, and she would have a meteor shower. 

It was their first summer in their newly bought chalet, the first without the prospect of an imminent separation that would irreparably break their hearts all over again. He was there, for good, and as his gaze swept across their terrace they were comfortably seated on, drinking wine and munching on snacks he had made, he took a moment to just appreciate his surroundings. They had a stunning view of  Lake Lungern, and of the mountains, behind which the sun had disappeared a few minutes ago already, and he was again seized with an incredulous joy. 

It was his life now, and no words could express his gratitude.

All the lights of the towns around the lake went out simultaneously, by mutual agreement in the canton, so that people would be able to fully enjoy this exceptional summer night. 

Seri put down her glass and clapped her hands excitedly, her eyes on the sky. The terrace was now only lit by the flickering light of a few citronella candles. He lost himself in the shadows dancing on her cheek, the way her hair slipped from her shoulder to her back, and the perfect angle of her jaw. 

"Ri Jeong Hyeok sshi, stop looking at me ..." 

He met her amused gaze. 

"I'm just looking."

"At me." she replied, comically narrowing her eyes at him. 

"You're indeed in my sight…" 

"The stars are in the sky, not on my face." 

"It's still too early to see them..."

She tilted her head, and asked. 

"No compliment like " your father is a thief, he stole all the stars to put them in your eyes? ""