Salad

When we get to our floor Loki is still no end of questions, I guess I should be happy that the elevator ride down was quiet at least, "what's this? The next step in your manipulation."

"No," I shake my head and exit the elevator, "this is your last chance."

"Oh, and what does my desperate last chance require?"

"Work."

"Work?"

I lead Loki to the library of the TVA, "you get to go over each and every one of the Variant's case files, and then, give us your...."

"My thoughts?"

"Your unique Loki perspective. Maybe there's something we missed," I shrug. "Won't know until you take a look."

"Well, most of you are idiots. I suspect you missed a lot."

"That's why we're lucky we have you for a little while longer." I stop on the edge of the study area, covered with tables and surrounded by books, "pick a desk, and don't be afraid to really lean into this work."

Loki sighs, not happy with the task he's been given, "any tips?"

"Pretend your life depends on it."

I turn and walk away, "where are you going?"

I stop and turn back to Loki, who by now is a few feet away from me, "I'm going to get something to eat and I'd like some peace and quiet while I do. I'll be down to check on you before too long."

When I get to the cafeteria, Mobius is already there getting ready to eat. He looks up to me surprised, "what are you doing here? I was looking for you two?" He looks around me, "where's Loki?"

"Left him in the library. Figured he could make himself useful and go over some case files." I tilt my head a bit, "also it doesn't look like you were too worried about where we were."

"Well, I thought you'd be here and once I got here I figured why waste an opportunity to grab some dinner."

"Yeah, uh huh," I chuckle as I walk away, heading up to the stand to order something to eat. I end up getting a bbq chicken wrap, before heading back to Mobius.

What I thought would be a peaceful meal, is cut short. Before I can even take a bite of my wrap Loki comes running into the cafeteria. "I found something."

"Did you go through all the files?" I don't even look up to Loki before taking a bite.

"I have."

"Every file?" I speak through a mouth full of chicken, cheese and lettuce.

"Yes."

"Pertaining to the Variant?"

"The answer isn't in the files, it's on the timeline." Loki pulls out the open chair and sits down, "he's hiding in apocalypses."

"Doesn't narrow it down. At any point in history?" Mobius shakes his head, "there's about a million of those."

"Ragnork. Are you familiar?"

"Yes," I wipe my hands with a napkin, realizing that I'm not going to be able to enjoy my food. "The destruction of Asgard and most of its people. I'm sorry."

"Yes, very sad." Loki nods for a moment before taking a quick inhale, "anyway. It got me thinking....."

Mobius looks over to me before looking back to Loki, "go ahead."

"Nexus events happen when someone does something they're not supposed to do, right?"

"Well, it's a little more complicated then that..."