Me

I head off with B-15, the two of us looking around the countless aisles of the useless junk humans seem to think they need. As the lights flash over our heads and thunder rolls outside I think of what Kamaria's life might have been like before the TVA, running around causing chaos, I wonder why she ever wanted to leave that life behind at all, much less for a family. I shake my head and try to get my mind off of Kamaria, "I, for one, am glad we're getting to spend this time together."

"Quiet," B-15 doesn't even looks back to me as she scans the aisles.

"I'm saying we got off on the wrong..."

"Shh."

"Right," I take a deep breath, wondering if this would be any more fun with Kamaria or even Mobius. I can push Mobius' buttons enough to get a response out of him and Kamaria enjoys arguing with me just as much as I enjoy arguing with her. As I think about the TVA agent I hear something off to my right. B-15 must have heard it as well, because we begin to move toward the sound.

We see a man in a hoodie looking over some plants, "hey!"

The man turns to us and puts his hands up, "whoa. Whoa. It's okay. It's okay."

"What are you doing?"

"Shopping for plants."

I'm a bit taken back by the man's calm and simple response, "in this storm?"

"It's a hurricane sale. Azaleas are half off."

"Could that be you?" B-15 glances over to me.

I look over the man, a bit saddened by the fact that this very well could be a version of myself. "I mean," I whisper over to B-15, "I probably would have worn a suit, but, yes, maybe." B-15 approaches the man, but when she gets within arms reach the man grabs her arm, then falls to the floor. "Is he dead?"

"No. They usually survive." I look up to B-15 as she moves back toward me, with her hands behind her back. "So, you're the fool the TVA brought in to hunt me down."

I click my tongue and pause for a moment, "me, I presume."

"Please. If anyone's anyone, you're me," she smiles and I smile back.

"How nice to meet you." The Loki who took over B-15 begins to lead me around, but they aren't talking, "enchantment is a clever trick." Cowardly, a bit amateur-ish, but clever."

"Almost as cowardly as working for the TVA."

"I'm working for me."

"I don't have time to meet you myself. I'm too busy keeping an eye on your little toy."

I freeze and for some reason feel a pit form in my stomach, "what are you talking about?"

The Variant laughs, "and here I was worried that they'd found a better version of me."

Then a man in the Roxxcart polo comes up to us, "hi, are you guys looking for the disaster shelter?"

"No," the Variant then touches the man, dropping B-15 to the floor. I flinch, trying to catch her, but my focus quickly moves to the new body the Variant is controlling. Once they walk away from B-15, I check to at least make sure she's alive. I want to make sure someone can get Kamaria out of here alive. "Oh, bless. Are you going to call your little friend for help?" The Variant chuckles.

I slowly stand, not taking my eyes off of the Variant. "What's the matter? You too scared to meet me face-to-face? Show yourself." They don't respond, they just keep walking away, "you know, gaining their confidence was no mean feet."

The Variant stops and slowly turns back to me, "oh, my God. You went undercover."

I take a sharp inhale, "if you could possibly sheathe yourself smarm for a moment, I have an offer for you. That's why I found you."