Feeling Good

"It wasn't that bad, baby." Shanice's mom comforted her over the phone as she laid across her bed. Shanice had just got in from the party after dropping Nina home. And as if on cue, like she knew something was wrong, her mom had called her.

"Mom, yes, it was. I made a fool of myself in front of him. Again!"

"Shanice, relax. If it is meant to be, then it will happen. You need not beat yourself up over a misunderstanding." Her mom assured her.

"You really think so, mom?"

"Yes, and you would to if you came to church more." She added on, earning a deep sigh of annoyance from Shanice.

"Mom, last time I came, it was a disaster. I don't think so, but thank you anyway."

"Listen, baby, you go to church for God not to worry about what people think. You know who you are, and that's all that matters." She said to me sternly. "You know your dad would want to see you coming to church. I miss him greatly.

"I know, mom. I miss him too. I'll talk to you later, mom, okay?"

"Alright, bye, baby. Think about what I said, alright?" Her mom pleaded with her.

"I will mom bye, love you." Shanice ended the call with a sighed as she reminisced about her father. He was a great man. He took pride in Shanice and worked hard to give her everything she wanted. But her father died two years ago in case of mistaken identity. It was extremely hard for Shanice and her mom. They weren't over it, and Shanice didn't ever think she would be, but she remembered what her dad had always said to her.

"Look who's home, Shanny. It's daddy!" Her mom yelled up the stairs to her daughter cheerfully an only to be met with radio silence. "She's having a rough day, Daniel. She didn't make the cheer team,"

"Don't worry, Angela, I've got it." He reassured his wife. He made his way up the stairs and towards his daughter's room. "Shanny, can I come in, baby?" He was met with no answer. "How about we go get some ice cream and go for a drive?"

A few moments later, the door opened, revealing a teary-eyed Shanice. "Ok," she replied quietly, moving past him. He smirked at his daughter and followed behind her.

"So you want to tell me what happened today, Shanny?" Shanice's father glanced over at his daughter enjoying her ice cream in the car.

"Dad, it's not fair. I'm the only person who didn't make the cheer team. Trust me; there were people worse than me."

"Let me tell you, something sweetheart. Anyone who can't see your potential and your talent doesn't deserve you. But that doesn't mean you stop trying. You keep being who you are."

"Dad, I don't even know who I am yet." She replied, rolling her eyes.

"That doesn't come overnight, baby, you'll figure out. I'll be here when you need me, right through every step of this process called life." He placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder and gazed lovingly and proudly at his daughter. The soft
hums of  Midnight Train to Georgia filled the car. And the sunset that painted the sky purple, orange, and yellow shined into the car. "I love this song Shanny. This is from the good ole days."

"You and mom always talk about the good ole days." Shanice let out a laugh as she continued to eat her ice cream. " I love this song too, daddy. And I love you."

"I love you too, baby."

Shanice needed to find a way to make amends with Dante. If she was honest with herself, she liked Dante and wanted to see where it would go. Looking at the clock, it was 11 already, the party at 10, so she figured he would still be up. She starred at her phone, the bright screen illuminating her room. After contemplating it with herself, she decided to text him.

S- Hey, are you up?

To Shanice's surprise, he responded almost immediately.

D- Yes. Are you alright? I apologize for tonight Marillo told me what happened with Chris.

S- Don't apologize, really. It was my fault I overreacted and jumped to conclusions. I'm sorry, really.

D- It's alright, but just, so we're clear he is my nephew.

S- Yup, got it. Lol.

S- So are we still on for Friday? I'm looking forward to it. There's this really cool place I want to take you to.

D- Yes, of course. But I will be taking you, just send me the address, and I will take care of the rest.

S- Okay, I will.

D- It's late. Get some rest, bella.

S- I will. Goodnight Dante

D- Goodnight.

Smiling foolishly, Shanice laid down in her bed and glanced up at her ceiling. She willed herself to sleep hoping Friday would come faster.