Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- Essay.

According to Roald Dahl's book, 'Charlie and the chocolate factory', there is a matching theme connected to it: appearances can  be deceiving. In this essay the following points will be discussed: Selfishness and greediness will get you nowhere, Thinking very highly of yourself is never a good thing, and Rather let circumstances not change you. Seeing as all four children were selfish and greedy, it leads to their downfall.  They allow how they grow up in circumstances  to change who they are.

To be selfish and greedy means to only care for yourself and to want everything more. Selfishness and greediness will get you nowhere, seeing as you get what you deserve, you will only receive the same treatment from others as you have been treating them. To expect (from selfishness) that people will treat you the way you'd like to be treated, will only lead to failure.  

Being arrogant and having great egos fall under selfishness, but is different at the same time. In Dahl's book, Mr. Willy Wonka had warned Violet Beauregard to "Spit the gum out", but she believes to be the best gum chewer of all time and continues chewing. This then leads to her downfall. 

Considering Verruca, she grows up richly and is convinced she should receive everything she wants. She then develops a stinky attitude which leads to her individual downfall. By learning from Verruca Salt, we see how you should not give in to circumstances and change according to how it seems. 

The statements that have been proven in correlation to characters from the book, shows us that attitude and good characteristics are important. Roald Dahl's book "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" proves that how something seems may not always be what it looks like. Therefore the proven statements can show us that appearances can be deceiving.