How "The Giver" ends- an essay

As the echo of Sameness plays in Jonas' mind, Gabriel starts to quiver from the constant snowflakes falling upon his young, gentle skin. Jonas, worried that Gabe might be frightened from the sled going downhill at rapid speed, glances down at him, tucked underneath his remaining clothing close to his chest. 

Surprisingly, Gabriel was silent, unmoving, but held onto Jonas for dear life. Finally, Jonas steered the sled, dodged most obstacles unhurt, and reached the end of the slope. Between the millions of falling snowflakes, faint light shun from the near distance. With stiff legs, cold bones and close to nothing body heat left anymore, Jonas made his way, struggling through the mass of white substance, to where he assumes his freedom may be. 

"'G-Gabe...We're cl-close n-n-now," Jonas breathed shivering. He hoped that his voice is audible through his teeth chattering and the briskly wind. Breathing heavily, Jonas had reached a blockage made up of dark material. Its texture solid and rough, Jonas interpreted it as a wall. After walking a small distance, they'd reached a glass pane where light comes from within. Unused to this difference, Jonas hoped people were present inside this dwelling. 

Slowly and painfully, he lifted his weaker arm, so that his stronger may hold the still child. A knocking sound echoed throughout the silent space around him and was surprised at the sudden numbness that overcame his knuckles. 

As he squinted his eyes to look beyond the frost covered glass, he realized a dark green prevented him from doing so. With his last ounce of strength, he knocked again. 

Without warning, the green, as he now know is a curtain, rustled. Jonas, dumbfounded by this sudden relief, sighed and mouthed the words "PLEASE HELP". A young child, not much older than Lily, came to realization and searched for help, seeing as she herself were surprised. 

Panic then arose within Jonas. He didn't know what was happening, nor could he see. A cold breath escaped his lungs, and Jonas feared it may be his last. Soon all he saw was darkness and felt only but the gentle touch welcoming him. 

Jonas awoke by the sow warmth rising to his face, his bare skin itching from something scratchy. Silently, Jonas realized he is in the memory of love. Looking around, he could see similarities, if not it were identical. 

"Mommy! He's awake!" 

A quiet voice startled Jonas from his silence, and searched for its owner. He found a Female, and Elder Male and another young Female. Weak, yet overwhelmed, Jonas got up despite his lack if energy to search for Gabriel no longer nested underneath his tunic.

As his cold feet became numb over the cold flooring, he'd finally found Gabe, wrapped in a blanket and appearing to be asleep.

Instantly, Jonas was reminded of the Release for the Newborn and began to worry that this new place of living was no different.

"I'm sorry." The Female placed her hand on Jonas' shoulder and explained to him that the child had passed away from the cold. Tears began to prickle his eyes, his throat heavy and his chest shallow. Jonas had escaped Sameness only because Gabe's presence gave him reason to live, to survive. 

Gabe will never know love, freedom or family. His knees became weak and gave way underneath him, letting him sob into his hands upon the floor. Every memory flashed through his mind and he had to grasp the concept of loneliness. 

For the first time, Jonas knew what the Chief Elder has meant. 
Pain. 

It was a sad concept to grasp, a difficult thing to understand, yet Jonas knew this better than any person he's met.

There's no point in having these memories anymore, Jonas thought. Still with a wet face and dry mouth, he stood. Placing his hands unto Gabe's chest, he could feel no heartbeat. No sound, no indication of life. 

Then Jonas called upon a memory of life gave it to Gabriel. He called upon another peaceful, living memory and transferred it. Jonas started to feel weak from the beginning once more, but if it were not for the small impulse Gabriel's heart gave, hope would not be there.  

Memory after memory, transferring upon transferring, Jonas could feel Gabe grasping hold of the little life that's left. Warmth spread throughout his entire body, and Jonas knew he still needed the little push that may bring him back to life. 

Jonas then gave all he had; his own memories. From the beginning of the affection he felt to the heartbreak and pain he had suffered to rescue himself and Gabe. Gabriel had to know what Jonas sacrificed for him. 

With the gasp of a new breath, resurrected from death, Jonas had taken his last, collapsing to the floor, still and lifeless the way Gabriel was only a mere moment ago.